Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
First Star Trail Attempt
Lens: Sigma 18-55 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Montana de Oro, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F4.5 

I've wanted to try my hand at star trail photography for a while now. I wasn't doing anything tonight so I decided to go out and give it a shot. I'm happy with how the shot turned aut, but any comments or criticisms you have would be greatly appreciated. This was about a 20 minute exposure. Thanks!

Last edited by jswillems; 01-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.
01-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's good, if you like that sort of thing.
01-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice capture. I was also trying star trails for first time over the December holidays, so share some of the new found interest, and fine them fascinating.

Would have been even better if the ocean and foreground was a bit lighter

Looks like you might have a plane trial in the right middle edge area...?? Not sure if you notices this streak. I ended up with a shooting star trail in one of mine, but it is also feint.
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I was going to try a 30 minute exposure, but was stupid and didn't realize I had set up below the high tide line and the tide started coming up pretty fast so I had to cut it to 20 minutes. And yes, there is a plane trail on the right side. I'll probably go back out tonight and give it another shot.

01-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #5

Wow very cool.

Yeah if you were able to isolate the foreground in a layer and bring that up...it looks like it could a combo ND moving water effect along with star trails.
01-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done.
Sharp and moody atmosphere combined.
What would have worked even better for me was to capture some more time with the stars when the ambient light was slightly more prominent in the scene - so if it was taken in the morning, to have allowed the shutter to be open a few minutes after, or if in the evening, having to set it up a few minutes earlier and started the exposure then. What this would have done is given more contrast between the dramatic sky with star trails and the mystical coastal foreground.
It also appears as if the horizon is ever so slightly leaning down to the right.
01-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. Like I said, I think I'll give it another try tonight so maybe I'll try to set up a little earlier (and make sure I'm above the high tide line). Oh, and I think you are right, the horizon does seem to lean a little.