Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shed on the farm
Lens: kit lens Camera: k-x 

An old cow shed where cows were milked by hand back in the day. It's on our farm. Has been processed in lightroom and photomatix. I like the look of it in B/W. Looks a lot less sharp now on the net tho...Amazing how much detail seems to be lost whenever I upload to the net

01-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Perhaps too bright, see the blown ridge on the center hill.

Maybe crop half the sky.

Nice place. I used to do hand jobs in my youth.
01-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I used to do hand jobs in my youth.
Haha! Sorry, but that's a funny way to put it.

Here's the non B/W. You can see where the sun is shining. It was going down at the time and only lighting parts of the hill in background. I agree with cropping the sky.

01-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are no blown highlights in this shot. I might try to bump the contrast in the b&w a bit. Otherwise a nice image.

01-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lovely location indeed.
I prefer the color version because the colors are the most interesting part of the photograph. The B&W suffers from lack of contast and a uniformity of tone due to HDR that is not the friend of black and white rendering.

The major problem with the photograph is that the chosen focal length is caught in a no-man's land of sorts. It is too close to show the context of the farm with the surrounding land. We just get some hints of the golden hills in background, but I would prefer a broader scale.

OTOH, it is too far away to highlight the interesting textures and details of the building. Comes close to a snapshot that way. Cropping the sky (which is too clear to be visually interesting or dramatic) and the grasses in the foreground would help some but not all that much. I'd also crop about 10% on the right side. The fence on the left is pretty cool though so keep that.

M
01-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply's. Have done some cropping. I see what you mean by the focal length. Its only 100m from my house so I shall try this again

01-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The b&w is nice, but I prefer the color version. The colors really add to the picture.

Paul
01-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by camo Quote
Have done some cropping.
IMO, you shouldn't crop the image, or at least not so much. I would try to increase (saturation) of the blue tones in the sky, so the contrast with the yellow tones on the hills becomes more accentuated.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 01-23-2011 at 03:58 AM.
01-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done.

I like both the b/w version and the color version, and I slightly prefer the b/w version.

I think I'd prefer that the image be cropped from the left to deal with the slightly distracting background.

I'd welcome close-up images photographed from the left and from the right.
01-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Both the colour and B&W versions are appealing, however the B&W version has the HDR effect markedly standing out more than with the colour versions. The crop is good, but I'm finding myself drawn to the original colour image for a greater perspective in the scene. The textures seem to come alive in this capture.

My only suggestion would be to tone down the yellows in the scene and perhaps there may be a slightly more neutral colour balance that looks more natural, but still retains the golden glow that is characteristic of this image.
01-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks people, I enjoy the feedback I get. It makes me look at things with a different perspective. I shall try a few things you've mentioned an see what I get. Will also try this from a different perspective some time.
05-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shot, both B&W and colour....there's nothing wrong with either of them.