Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
First photo shoot (cars)
Lens: 18-55 DAL, 50-200 DAL Camera: K-x Photo Location: Parking Garage 

Did my first photo shoot last night of some friends cars in a parking garage. A few that I liked. Tell me what you think

01-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Forum Member

#1 is cool. i like the reflection from the puddle.
#3 is underexposed. too dark.
#7 try cropping the foot out of the bottom right

still new at this myself. but thats what my untrained eye picks up.
01-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a few comments and suggestions I have.
#1 Needs color temperature adjustment. Looks too yellow. Too many distracting elements, maybe try cropping the big vents and poles out. Also maybe try a lower point of view. Looks like it's taken at eye level. I like the use of the puddle for reflections.
#3. I really like the idea here. Maybe a little higher exposure next time to pull a little more detail and lines from the car.
#5 is my favorite of the bunch. The blue bimmer really jumps out of a dull grey background. I'd crop some off the left (remove the distracting yellow on the poles) and some from the top.
#6. Pretty cool perspective here. Who's going to win making it to the end of the garage.

Looks good, keep them coming.
01-25-2011, 03:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys

I ended up adjusting the wb halfway through when i realized the yellow tint, thus the early photos appeared with the yellow hue. The shot of the angel eyes is rather difficult to bring out any definition or color in the body of the car; I'm going to try again next time. Not sure how to go about it though as its easy to get a washed out shot.
Oh, and who would win the race? Probably the white one but, it depends on which owner you ask

01-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #5

You can certainly adjust white balance using most software tools.

My suggestion would be to put your camera on a tripod and set your aperture to f13 or so. Images appear to be out of focus with a shallow depth of field. The shallow depth of field might be good if you were clearly working it to show (just for example) a front fender with the rest of the car blurred out. But, it appears you are trying to show the whole car in most of these images so I would suggest you work at getting the whole car in focus.

The tripod would also, as BlueBubbleBoy suggested, allow you to get down at "car level" or something different that gives an interesting perspective to the shots.

Just my two cents.
01-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Cars can be easily moved, so if you have an angle you want to hit, but there's a big yellow painted bollard in the frame, consider moving the car.