Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
More Star Trails
Lens: Sigma 18-55 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Montana de Oro, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F4.5 

A couple more star trails from tonight. As always, all comment and criticisms welcome. Thanks in advance!

01-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2nd one is really cool
01-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #3

i´ve been trying some startrails lately too, one thing that i personally would try to change would be a little more exposure of the trees in #2.
01-24-2011, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You did reasonably well with these.
Decently exposed, now it's time to master those PP skills to enhance these images. The temperature for starters can go down significantly - this will give the sky some blue and the foreground less yellow. Then consider boosting some of the foreground shadow detail - #1 has done alright but the clear shadow line leaves part of the image missing.

01-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Forum Member

wow really great shots! the second one especially is impressive. i agree with ash the second one could be improved with some more foreground detail. if that is possible? without giving away any secrets how did you get these? stars moving that much in the sky??? i am confused hahahaha.
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

@Ash: Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a shot. Except for cropping #2 these are straight out of the camera. I tried to light up the trees in #2 with a spotlight, but obviously not enough. The light in #1 came from a car the pulled into the parking lot which is why there's that straight shadow line.
01-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes, that's a great 'strategy' to getting the foreground decently exposed in those pitch-black star trails exposures - relying on incidental spot lighting from cars driving by can really make a difference.

In this exposure, I was near a quiet T-interection where in my 45 minute exposure 3 cars came and turned into the street alongside where I was shooting, sweeping their headlights over the landscape and giving me enough light to expose the foreground:

01-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Ah yes, that's a great 'strategy' to getting the foreground decently exposed in those pitch-black star trails exposures - relying on incidental spot lighting from cars driving by can really make a difference.

In this exposure, I was near a quiet T-interection where in my 45 minute exposure 3 cars came and turned into the street alongside where I was shooting, sweeping their headlights over the landscape and giving me enough light to expose the foreground:
That's pure genius right there!
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to lighten the foreground, during the exposure you can always wander around and let loose with a manual flash gun.