Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

NYC at Night
Lens: 18-55 kit Camera: K-x Photo Location: New York City ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F5.6 

I've seen so many great examples of night time photography that I thought when I went out to try it myself, it'd be much harder to get the results I wanted. But I was pleasantly surprised and delighted with what I got. Being a newbie to photography in general, I'm putting this out there for honest critique and constructive advice, especially against similarly themed photos ...my objectivity has become obscured!

Thanks!

01-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks like a very good photo. Here's a few comments from a fellow newbie (maybe we can both learn something).
The image foreground looks nice and sharp and well exposed. I like how the binoculars (or whatever those things are called) really stands out. I think if anything I would maybe crop some off the top and have less empty sky. I also wonder what it would look like with a greater DoF. That way maybe a feeling more of what is viewed through the binoculars and not just being about the binoculars. Again, not sure if that would be best, but just a thought.
01-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The image is clear on its subject and has a decently complementary background. Two important elements to a good photo. Indeed shooting closer to the subject (whilst keeping the aperture near wide-open) ensures both an acceptably good quality image and a more blurred out background. You might need to zoom out to do this.

The subject matter determines much of a photo's impact, and here whilst being well captured, the subject itself is of limited interest, and thus has little to draw the viewer into the image. Nevertheless, this is a good result for starting out and it should encourage you to continue seeking interesting subjects to capture in your night walks.
01-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
I agree that the DoF could've been greater. I think that because I was paying so much attention to the exposure times (13 sec, in this case) that I somewhat neglected the aperture. In hindsight I should've set it to f8 or higher.

Thanks, BBB, for you comments. Very much appreciated!

01-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The subject matter determines much of a photo's impact, and here whilst being well captured, the subject itself is of limited interest, and thus has little to draw the viewer into the image.
Thanks, Ash. Finding an interesting subject has always been difficult task for me. I'm always astonished by how some people can take a photo of what, on the surface, would seem like the most benign and bland object, and turn it into a work of art. It's both inspiring and discouraging at the same time!
01-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Forum Member

i dont know if it would work or not but i would consider retaking the shot with a different compostion. maybe put the binoculars only half way into the frame and that way you get the depth of field but also more of the city in the left side of the frame. the city is the point of interest not the binoculars right? just my humble unknowing two cents. nice shot! i love NYC!!!
01-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i like the idea. would it look better if you slightly turned the binoculars so that they were flat against the camera? so its like your in the position of really looking through them to the scene. the slight angle of this i dont like as much, cause it seems like i am standing off to the side.

01-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by centino67 Quote
Thanks, Ash. Finding an interesting subject has always been difficult task for me. I'm always astonished by how some people can take a photo of what, on the surface, would seem like the most benign and bland object, and turn it into a work of art. It's both inspiring and discouraging at the same time!
Let it be a tool to learn more about what makes photos work. So much is tied into what you 'see' and how to create a work of art out of it. Try thinking about perspective, composition, colours, textures, subject to camera distance and depth of field - a lot to consider, but with each scene - attempt to maximise the impact from all these aspects and you may be pleasantly surprised from your results.
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting subject matter will always be subjective. This forum is for discussion of composition, exposure, etc. Take all posts about interesting subject matter with a grain of salt.
01-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

lot's of good tips for you here, I would have tried landscape orientation with the viewers to one side or the other and f11 or even smaller (wouldn't hurt to actually set it up and try a range of f stops as it will let you see how they change DOF)
Colours came out nice and this is a good composition though but the subject is more the binoculars than it is NYC in this one
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I know now I'll have to go back some night for another go. Unfortunately the weather in nyc at the moment is absolutely dreadful so it might have to wait (took this pic in October).

For what it's worth, here's another shot from the same set... more the traditional skyline shot. Like the other, though, I should have closed down the aperture more than I had.

f6.3, 30sec, ISO 100