Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sunrise Silhouette
Lens: Pentax-F 35-70 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, CO ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F11 

01-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
juu
Veteran Member

The colours are very nice and give a nice mood to the picture.

However, the tree form gets lots towards the bottom and replaced with a bit too much negative space. Perhaps if you had taken it from a lower spot you could have more of the tree seen against the sky.
01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah the catch-22 with this one was that going lower meant that I would lose the sky behind the horizon. I was looking for the best available balance there. I had my 35-70 lens with me and the 18-55 was in the car... I had just got the lens so didn't want to shoot with anything other than it. So I couldn't get too much closer without being too close to get the entire tree either. Appreciate the feedback though. I need all the help I can get. ;-)
01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The colours are amazing. New lenses are so much fun! this one did a great job. Could you crop this into a 16 x 9 (for example) to loose some of the negative space at the bottom?

01-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cropping would give you a good option to fill more of the image with the amazing sky.

Garden of the Gods is the only place I've ever seen colors like that, nice capture!

Tony
01-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The consensus is agreed on my part also, though the main subject being the foreground tree makes the other elements to either side of the tree slightly distracting - problem is if you crop them out also, there is little room left for the tree to 'breath' in the frame. If it were on its own in the field, it would have been great, even to be able to frame it on one side of the frame rather than centrally, but otherwise this is a good silhouette with a nicely complementary sky.

The colours are bold and well processed, though you could even drop the temperature down a little further to town down the burnt out yellow/orange parts of the sunset.