Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Clark's Nutcracker
Lens: Kit Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Brainard Lake, Colorado ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F22 

This is one of those lucky shots where I was in the right place at the right time. I was sitting behind this snowdrift playing with composing it against the mountains behind when the bird showed up and landed right in front of me. He was there for about 5 seconds before he noticed me and took off. I really like the impact of the picture and just wish his head was a little clearer... At the same time I don't completely dislike the fact that it conveys a little motion out of him. Any feedback is appreciated, or I wouldn't post it here.

01-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i agree with your self-critique that the image could be improved if the head was a little clearer. While motion blur is often a desirable effect keeping the eye in focus allows the viewer to connect with the picture. Lowering your aperture setting from F22 to something like F8 would have given you a faster shutter speed reducing the amount of motion blur while still allowing for adequate DOF.
Thanks for sharing

01-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well I'm going to give you lots of points for framing the shot. Too bad about the blur. That's one of those shots where you lament that you were so close to perfect. I would keep it anyhow.
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one of those moments when you just needed to flip straight to the green mode on the camera, and let it just give you a stock standard f/8-11 shot and everything would have turned out great.
Good find on this scene, though.

01-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah I hear you on green mode. I was only thinking two things though "HURRY!" and "BE STEADY!". Reality is I probably did have a couple of seconds to switch to another mode and would have been even happier with the result.
01-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on snagging this mountain corvid. He was probably eyeing you up as quickly as you were it to see if it could steal something from you. Lovely scene despite the head movement. When shooting birds, I try to maximize shutter speed for the light conditions. I am rarely out of TAv mode on my K5 then.