Inactive Account

Another one of pregnancy
Lens: 18-135 Camera: k20D 

Here's another one of a happy couple!!!

01-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first impression of this image is that it looks like the man is trying to pull his partner's top up to look at something else other than the belly.

The B&W rendition is OK, but the incidental lighting is a problem in that it's lighting the back of the man alright, but causing there to be less light available to light the subject proper (the pregnant woman's belly and face).

There seems to be an intentional drop in clarity, which is OK in some circumstances, but not my cup of tea here. Also, the woman's tattoo is actually a point of interest in the image and should be enhanced and framed accordingly. Perhaps even consider it to be selectively coloured whilst leaving the rest of the scene B&W - but definitely get the lighting better for the next shoot.
01-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tx for the advice... I really have to learn proper lighting techniques. But for the selective color, I already made one with low vibrance in another thread!

Here it is:

01-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh yes, I remember that one. The tattoos do stand out nicely in them.
Certainly are happy there.
Lighting's so variable, but there are simple strategies to get consistently good results - and a lot can be done with a single diffused off-camera light source.

01-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Though I'm sure the couple had a lot of fun in the making of the shots, I find the first shot to be a little too strange for my taste. The whole thing seems a little too voyeuristic on a couple of levels. First your shooting perspective is from below and seems to emphasize their midsections so I feel like a peeper to both of them. Secondly his body language and expression was well articulated by Ash. I just don't get a sense of intimacy from the shot, and to me that is what pregnancy photos are supposed to communicate.

The second one is more pleasing and effective. But his expression still seems "off." I also feel like you've squeezed them into the frame with their limbs so akimbo. It's kinda funny (which is positive), but I'm not getting a sense of adult intimacy.

M