Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Chickadee
Lens: 55-300 Camera: K x Photo Location: Peru NY ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.7 

Just received this camera as a Xmas gift so I'm still learning

Last edited by BHamms; 04-03-2016 at 11:48 AM.
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got yourself a sharp capture of this little fella amidst all the twigs and branches, so well done.
This shot also has a good camera angle to capturing the subject.
What you can work on now is the composition and framing both to enhance the look of the portrait, and to choose the right place to frame your shot to avoid the distracting elements to the image that take away from the subject's interest and impact.

Have a read through some of these links on this article or go through the fundamentals in your favourite photography book.
01-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

This image could be improved by a better head angle. While this is something that we don’t always have a lot of control over it is often desirable to have the birds head either parallel to the camera sensor or facing slightly towards you as this allows a better connection with the viewer
01-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have to agree... I wish I'd taken Chickadee 101 back when I was in highschool. It would have been so much more useful than typing or French. Same with this little bugger he just wouldn't listen. Really with birds, put it in burst mode shoot a half million frames and hope you get lucky. I really like that yours is in a tree, not at a bird feeder like mine. I've been trying to get one in a more natural setting, but the little buggers don't hold still long. You'd think with 50 of them hanging around my bird feeder I'd have more luck.

Maybe you and I should inspire each other with a contest. See who can get the first picture of one of these little fireballs with a decent head angle.

01-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I will definitely have to work at getting a better head angle and I am always up for a challenge. I have a bird feeder next to these bushes so lots of birds hang around but only the chickadees stay when I go near. I'll keep trying
01-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, I love it, and love the background too! I have dozens of these little birdies in my yard and for years I have tried to capture one with a decent shot, and out of many, many attempts, I have never equaled your shot here. The are jittery, always moving, and their coloring makes them difficult to expose correctly. I have also come to the conclusion that they have no eyes! LOL! Just so dark and tiny that if you get the eyes, you don't get anything else.......
You did great with a very difficult bird to shoot.....makes me want to keep trying!
Best Regards!
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

OK, I got another one in a tree today. With a bit more light, it might have been a great shot. I like the way the tree branch cuts through the frame in this one.