Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Confessions of a Cropper
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F9.5 

I don't know how I got addicted, but I did. I think it started a little with the K10D and got much worse with the K20D and the added pixels. Anyhow, I barely look at any original long enough to see if I like it like it is......I just open and go straight to the cropping tool. I know, composure is all important, and getting it right in the camera is a priority....but it s doesn't seem to matter to me, I just crop anyhow. And then I like to play with the photo....my second addiction.....I will do a photo I like in a dozen (or more) different programs just for fun and to see what I can get. I doubt that you can convince me to Stop It!....but your prayers will be appreciated.

Am I alone, or are there others of you out there ashamed to come out and admit your addiction? I gave up smoking several years back, drink very little and very seldom, and stopped chasing women when Mrs Rupert almost shot me many, many, years ago........but I still look. I'm not giving up my Cropping!
Don't be too hard on me, I already feel guilty and dejected.....and Winter Depression has a hard grasp on me.....I need your prayers along with your criticism!
Best Regards
Rupert

Original Shelby......
[IMG] [/IMG]

Cropped Shelby....Lordy! I love her eyes!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Then there is that second addiction of "playing around"......
[IMG] [/IMG]

01-28-2011, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rupert,

If I have a picture that I think I might want to print, I'll do all of the post processing first and save the image. This allows me to crop at multiple aspect ratios (4x6, 5x7,8x10), dependent upon the preferences of the photo recipient (Aunts and uncles like 5x7's of the kids, while the grandparents like 8x10's). If I'm processing the image for the web only, I crop first thing.

Tim

PS: I can't view Flickr images at work and will have a peek at your images later tonight.
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm not giving up my Cropping!
Hi Rupert.

Croping is a great way for composing and I find it compulsive and fun as you do. The problem is when you crop too much and begin to loose definition, or sharpness, if you like. Hence the need to predict that on camera and begin the crop when you take the shot, knowing already that you may want to crop it further on post. That's why we may agree that a camera with more resolution (megapixels) is better than one with lesser. Meaning you can crop more without loosing too much resolution. On the other hand, you can go for a softer look (sort of the old photo style of Shelby's last image) and loosing definition it's not that important after all.

Best regards.
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hello, My name is Tess and I am a newly besotted post processing addict. I am ashamed to say that I have been unfaithful to Poetry, finding in Pentax an insatiable lover. My dearly beloved Fiction has also fallen by the wayside as Aperture 3 crops, clones and saturates into oblivion, any words that dare try enter.

I am afraid this forum Enables this behaviour. We are doomed.

Oh, and about your photos Rupert...lovely girl and terrific cropping job, especially in the first. That is perfect. I like the vintage look of the last and her eyes in all are extraordinary. One small observation; her bottom lip looks a bit odd on close inspection. It could just be me looking way to close at this gorgeous portrait.

I hope you do this type of photography for work as well as pleasure. You are really good!

01-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I hope you do this type of photography for work as well as pleasure. You are really good!
I think someone deserves a couple of rep points from you Rupert.

Tim
01-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll sign you both up, Rupert and Tess, for croppers anonymous, where digital photographers who take cropping of their images beyond comprehension can get the rehab they need to stop them from having that urge to crop and get back behind their cameras and frame their shots more tightly.

As for your cropped portraits Rupert, there is clear loss of contrast, definition and clarity of the results, no doubt due to approaching 100% magnification. The PP obsession is great, particularly if you have the right images to create a number of effective 'versions' and enjoy the process, of course.

Last edited by Ash; 01-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.
01-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am glad that I am not alone.....there are others that suffer this humiliation and also appear to be non-repentant. Even the scolding by Ash, who I respect greatly, had no bearing on my desire to crop. I feel dirty, I feel ashamed, and I........feel like hiding my sorrow in Photoshop with the Crop Tool fully activated.
Tonight I may look for old Cropped photos, and crop them again. Cropping the crop is how you know you desperately need help, but still, you draw that little box and click.......another new Crop is born!

Best Regards!
Rupert

Note: Tess, get into some counseling now, before it is too late. You don't want to end up like me, rejected and dejected, ashamed and ridiculed by your peers.....Do it for yourself, do it for your family....I got so carried away at Christmas that I cropped my 84 year old Mom out of a Family shot.......now I am out of her Will and hated by my entire clan. It's not too late for you.....listen to Ash, listen to your conscience, you know it is wrong.

01-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

rupert, don't worry. I do it, I like it and I have yet to see an image that can't be cropped. What you might lose in sharpness (and I'm not conceding this point) is more than offset by focusing the eye of the viewer on the essential image,
Brian
01-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You ain't seen nothin' yet Rupert.
I'm just waiting for the right time to scold you over feeding these pretty models all that pizza and chicken wings (that's the nutritionist in me speaking. )

But seriously, there's no shame - cropping has and always will be one of the most used tools in photography to improve an image's look and impact.
01-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'll sign you both up, Rupert and Tess, for croppers anonymous ...
But isn't CA in fact responsible for the plague of purple fringing, whose cure lies in post processing? Sounds like the fox guarding the hens to me.
01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the consolation Ash.......maybe you could drop a few lines to my Mom and explain to her the nature of my disease? Besides losing my inheritance because of cropping her out of those Christmas shots, I miss her.....and she makes my favorite, delicious Cherry Pies, like no one else can make. I didn't mean to do it Mom! I just got to cropping and couldn't stop, then I looked up at the screen, and you were gone.

She would listen to you Ash, you are not insane like I am.
Best Regards!

BTW- You won't find me being the one to deny my girls Pizza and Hot Wings! I may be insane, but I am not Crazy!

All this crop talk made me find another one, a sort of Ghostly shot of Shelby.....and I cropped out over 70% of the frame and got this.......Yes, it makes me feel dirty again, but I do admit I cropped it anyhow.
[IMG] [/IMG]
01-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I think Shelby crops quite well. Yes, I too, am a cropper. Barely a photo I show isn't cropped in some way, even if to straighten it. It's a very useful tool to show what you really want shown in a photograph. I'm liking the second photo in your original post a lot (the closeup). You're coming into your own as a portrait photographer. As to the pizza and hot wings, whatever it takes to make the models happy. The young ladies can do better with it than most of us so as long as that's what they want, by all means .

01-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

70 percent and all you are left with is the pure essence of Shelby

wow

that is a b e a u t i f u l cropping job
01-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeff, Tess, thanks for making me feel better about my addiction. I will have to concede that my skills are far inferior to the abilities of Shelby, and she never once modeled before modeling for me. A most unremarkable girl in real life, you could never spot her in a crown in a hundred years, but when the lights go on, she is a new person, and absolutely the one you see here. It amazes me at every shoot. She comes in looking like a little mousy girl, and when the lights go on, she is a Star! How lucky can I get? Lovely models, Pizza & Hot Wings........friends like those here....life is good!
Best Regards!
01-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

ha ha, I like the title.

Well, sometimes a crop is unavoidable. For example, for close portraits, I like a square crop. Even if I want, I can not take a square picture straight out of the camera

Also, when I am shooting outside, sometimes I will just focus on the subject and some unwanted object will just show up when I review the picture on computer. Those have to go. And these are easy fixes by cropping on computer.

Ofcourse, there are occasions when I feel I should have composed better, and there is no way to fix it in crop. For example, if I am trying to align something to the rule of the thirds, and the composition does not let me do that because it will cut out some important piece. These are times when I feel I should have paid more attention to framing while taking the shot.

cheers,

Abhi