Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunset snowy footbridge & stairs
Lens: kit lens Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Algonquin, Ontario 

Edit: under each original image I am adding a re-worked version based on the input I received in this thread. I had a hard time dealing with the blues and grays.... but, I am wondering if the revisions are now better? I am trying very hard to get a handle on the post processing techniques and wonder if I am colourblind. thanks for looking yet again.

These are the first photo's I've taken with the K-x. I thought I would post them here for some critical feedback, especially on the composition and post-processing. I had the camera set on auto and manually set the ev trying different exposures as the sun was brilliant and setting. I used a polarizing filter.

The first shot is just for fun, but I really tried to make something of the others. One criticism is that I need to use a tripod. And, the colour was difficult too, with so much natural yellows, pinks and blues bouncing everywhere.

Thanks for any and all comments.

1. revised

2. revised

3. revised

4. revised

5. revised

Last edited by tessfully; 02-02-2011 at 10:10 AM.
01-30-2011, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #2

Experts give advice. I'm no expert, so I'll give you a couple of things to consider. They may, or may not, give you the results you want to see. I like the composition on #3 a lot. I'd try reducing the saturation just a bit and maybe lighten it just a bit to see what happens to the look. If your processing program will let you slightly reduce the yellow, I'd try that. The key for me with this photo would be to make small adjustments. It's really pretty close for me. I'd like to see it when you get it the way you like it. Good shot. Good luck!
Jim
01-30-2011, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Painting

I think photo No 2 is beautiful. Your composition is perfect and the colours are great. This shot would make a great painting. No 3 is great too, but is more in line with a Christmas postcard shot. Maybe a wider view would have helped make it as good as No2. Overall, great pictures.
01-30-2011, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are more narrative and descriptive rather than artistic or creative photos, so my critique will have this in mind - the compositions are quite decent.
#1 could actually have the signboard more centred, since it's the main focus, and the extra space to its right has little to offer to the image. The backlit sun is a fine addition to the scene.
#2 has had its sky a touch overprocessed (darkened to the point of looking unnatural and unbalanced with the ambient lighting of the scene) and the colours and contrast may be a little too brilliant in #4.
Otherwise well done Tess.

01-30-2011, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
yes #2 is well composed with some interesting light...nice looking place.
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all... thanks so much for the comments and tips... I can't wait to find time to fix these up tomorrow.
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #7

#1 - I like the photo a lot, but I find the trees above the railing a little bit out of place. I personally would have moved the camera up a little more to show a little more of them, hopefully giving a better idea of what's beyond the railing. The color in the sky is great though.

#2 - I'm a big fan of HDR and this is a very well composed image. I think this one needs a little noise reduction in the sky, or possibly a little more saturation.

#3 - My favorite of the four images, but I think that bringing exposure up a little bit would remove a little bit of the gray from the shadows in the snow. It also has a little bit of a blue cast to it, which may or may not be intended.

#4 - I like the balance of the shadows much better in this one, it's a little more blue but much less gray.

#5- Very good overall, but again the shadows make the gray in the snow a little to prominent for me. Snow generally requires an image to underexpose unless compensated for.

02-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Forum Member

On my bigger monitor, I like #3 alot also.
02-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I reworked all of these based on the input I received and posted them above next to the old version. I may have wrecked 2 and 5, or maybe all of them???? Feeling a bit blurry eyed and colourblind now. But basically, I tried to tone down the saturation and contrast, lose the gray, I tried to take out the noise in the sky, and I cropped one and three for a different look.

If anyone has time to let me know what you think I would appreciate the feedback.

thank you
02-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. 2 is one of those images you get and keep, for the sublime natural light. Likewise#3. Please, don't reprocess them. Photorealism. Just look at the way the sky and the light on the snow has turned out!

Last edited by asaru; 02-02-2011 at 10:56 AM.
02-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your comment asaru. You are right, the light was incredible, it was an amazing sunset, colour everywhere. I toned them down by raising the exposure and brightness a bit, and I think I touched on the midtones.

Your input means a lot...

Oh, I also meant to mention to wffwii that these are not HDR... I have not figured out how to use that function yet.
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In this case, I really like the original crop on #3, to keep the dogs close, for their EYES. It's a portrait! Or, if you want more of a landscape, perhaps something like this, with the unfiltered original (top) colors? What I did was to frame half-trees on both sides...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by asaru; 02-02-2011 at 11:38 AM.
02-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #13

#4 looks a lot better revised to my eye. #2 and #3 I think you lost too much in the sky, especially in number 2. I'm no expert and I realize a lot of times with editting there is a tradeoff in what works and what ends up with the best balance. It's interesting to see because I'm dealing with some of the same issues with my photos as I try to improve. What program are you using?
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi asaru, I like your suggestion and will give it a try here. I do agree the closer view of the dogs is better, and you guessed right as I was trying to make it more of a landscape. Thanks so much for your input.

wffwii ... thanks too for your considered thoughts. I really love workshopping these and appreciate that you came back for another look. I am using Aperture 3. It is a great program, but then again, I don't know how to use photoshop so cannot compare. Amazing how long one can work on an image, eh? It becomes a blur after awhile.

cheers!
02-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well I am late to the party... I like #3 the best as well... but I enjoy the more 'paint' like colours of the revised copy and the suggested crop is nice... but I think I prefer your original still...