Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another bird of prey, Black shouldered kite
Lens: Sigma 170-500 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F9.5 

i think i've got the same problem of introducing a bit of noise in the background by resizing the image but besides for that let me know what you think

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have just uploaded some Australian wildlife pictures to my Pentax forums album if anyone is interested in having a look https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/kailash-albums-wildlife-down-under.html

Cheers,

Kailash
01-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Magnificent shot Kailash,4 kites are native to north america and havnt been able
to catch up with one yet.Had a look at your album, Im afraid to visit your
beautiful country,wouldnt want to leave.
01-31-2011, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice shot. One thing that I do to reduce noise in background (common problem with skies) is to use a layer mask and only sharpen the main subject. When shooting high ISO's, I take this a step further and apply heavy noise reduction to the background as well, masking out the foreground.

Here's a quote from a website article found here

"When the photo has large out of focus areas, I always use the Layer Mask to apply sharpening only on the subject. This technique is particularly useful for photos taken at high ISO, both for full size files and web-sized images. If you apply the sharpening on the entire photo, the noise into background becomes clearly visible. To get the best results, instead, I create a copy of the photo on a second layer (right-click on the layer palette and select "duplicate layer" from the drop-down menu). I apply the Smart Sharpen on the copy, while I apply a strong noise reduction on the background, than I apply the layer mask on the copy. With the paintbrush, I reveal only the sharp areas of the photo (the subject): the result is a razor sharp subject against a smooth, noise free background."