Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Beachy Head lighthouse
Photo Location: near Eastbourne, UK ISO: 100 

02-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Really like the composition and the way the light is playing, but I think I personally would have done a little more highlight recovery on the cliff face, to bring a little more detail up hopefully.
02-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wffwii, thanks.

The highlight recovery was already pretty high; I turned it up more but it starts to look a lot less white as it felt in real life if turned up higher. Another rendering:

There is something wrong with the picture and I'm not sure what. If anybody has ideas, please let me know.
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Wish I knew what to tell you as far as thinking there's "something wrong". I'm still learning the post-processing nuances myself. I personally don't see anything wrong with it except for what looks "right" to me when I edit something. And yeah, it's easy to over-recover. Been learning that with some of my latest pics.

02-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one of those times to take two or more shots. shot one for cliff, sky, forground, beach and then put them all together.
the light on the cliff is making it hard to balance the shot.
02-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The above comments are on the ball - this image could have done with some multi-exposure blending/HDR, but not all that much - just enough to balance the contrast a little better and enhance the colours.
02-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, thanks. So you think it's just too high contrast and too low DR in the picture to do it justice.

02-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not sure the image needs HDR if you have both highlight and shadow detail. I don't think there's anything "wrong"; you could, for example, have more interesting clouds in the sky, but you'd have to manufacture them, because they just weren't there.

Paul
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GF1  Photo 

Last edited by tibbitts; 02-05-2011 at 09:18 PM.
02-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I was thinking perhaps because the cliff was so vertical and so centrally positioned someone could advise on composition. As I had hoped the different diagonals and the depth (by this I mean having both the near glass and the far lighthouse in) would make it a keeper, but somehow the picture does not give the scene justice.
02-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps it may just need some highlight recovery as the shadow details are reasonably well retained, but also shifting the colour balance a little to the cooler end of the spectrum may help improve texture and the overall look of the highlights in this image.
02-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Well, I was thinking perhaps because the cliff was so vertical and so centrally positioned someone could advise on composition. As I had hoped the different diagonals and the depth (by this I mean having both the near glass and the far lighthouse in) would make it a keeper, but somehow the picture does not give the scene justice.
Sorry but I'm guessing 99.999% of everybody besides you alrady thinks the image is a keeper and does do the scene justice. You can tweak highlights or shadows, but I don't see what the problem is with the image as-is.

Paul
02-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going to be a dick and offer an opinion unsolicited.

From the standpoint of composition, it does not work for me. Two major players in this photos are 1) the rock (or the face of) and 2) the light house. The contrast in sizes between these two objects to me is unnecessarily large. I think this kind of technique would work if you were trying to show two objects that are hugely different in size to appear the same, or something like that. so I say you get closer to the lighthouse, and I think you can still do this while maintaining the percentage of frame that is taken up by the rock. I wouldn't crop though. I say put on a longer tele on a tripod and shoot a few in different apertures and shutter speeds.

Sorry.
02-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #13
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, tibbitts. IMHO it is an OK picture, but not one I'd put in my "best of 2011" portfolio. I guess that's what I was trying to say.

Fontan, your opinion wasn't unsolicited at all, and is much appreciated. It could be exactly the problem you state which is my problem with the image too.
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am going to be a dick and offer an opinion unsolicited.

From the standpoint of composition, it does not work for me. Two major players in this photos are 1) the rock (or the face of) and 2) the light house. The contrast in sizes between these two objects to me is unnecessarily large. I think this kind of technique would work if you were trying to show two objects that are hugely different in size to appear the same, or something like that. so I say you get closer to the lighthouse, and I think you can still do this while maintaining the percentage of frame that is taken up by the rock. I wouldn't crop though. I say put on a longer tele on a tripod and shoot a few in different apertures and shutter speeds.

Sorry.
I agree it would be a better picture if you could compose it similar to what it is, but with a longer lens. I'm not sure it was possible to move to a location that would permit that, however.

Paul
02-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Juu, did you shoot RAW or JPEG on the day? If you was looking to balance the light better you could do make on JPEG output from the RAW file thats had the exposure played with for the cliff and then another JPED file again from the RAW for the cliff top etc and then in Photoshop make one image from 2 ?

Oh, I like the light by the way, nice part of the world, over here in Wales we have very rocky cliffs !