Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pikes Peak Sunset
Lens: Pentax-F 35-70 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Colorado ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F16 

Please pick this one apart. Main reason - I FINALLY sat down with a couple of Lightroom Tutorials and rather than just dragging around the sliders until it "looked right", put total conscious effort into watching the histogram, picking the right slider for what I was looking for, etc. I think it's a much better image... But feel free to let me have it.

***Click image for a larger view***

02-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a nice scene, captured well. Nice composition.
PP is also good, but to my eyes the only deficiency is the slight lack of brilliance of the foreground. The sky is well rendered (could do with some toning down of the highlights some more) but the foreground could selectively be brightened with levels or just a brightness adjustment.

From a technical point of view, I'd have considered stepping forward a little to just past the vertical reeds of grass, near the foot of the small black hill at image left, and gotten a wide angle shot from there, making that part of the landscape more of a foreground feature, and slightly enlarging the perspective of the mountains. Otherwise nicely done.
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, that black hill is at least a quarter mile away in nine inches of snow. It goes down and then comes back up to that point.To be honest, I cropped it a little bit from the original exposure. If I wasn't running to catch the sunset after work to begin with, I would have strapped on the snowshoes and had a little more range. As it was I was breaking the snow and had trudged about as far as I wanted to, to the crest of the first ridge past the trailhead. If only I could win the lottery and take pics all day every day. lol

Thanks for the feedback though. I'll maybe play with some selective brightening next.
02-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice, love the tonal range but the sky in my eyes could do with having a slither taken off the top of it but cropping is a matter of taste I suppose so maybe its just me !

I don't mind the foreground reeds as they give the foreground texture and interest