Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Random Man
Lens: Tamron 28 - 200mm Camera: Pentax K-X Photo Location: Central Alabama ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

Actual shutter speed as per my camera was 1/400 and aperture was F7.1

This had the potential to be a fabulous (to me) shot, he just looked so peaceful and happy watching the water flow by him and I feel like totally missed the moment. What could I have done different? I know the orginal was over exposed and I corrected that with PP in the second photo and cropped it down a little.

Attached Images

02-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #2

Really powerful pictures have fewer elements in them. The subject needs to dominate the frame. So, for sure he needs to fill the frame much more. The weird steel structure adds interest. Often perspective (where you stand) adds interest. If this is a site near where you live, go there without a camera. Take the photo in your head. What time of day will make your photo more compelling? I am guessing this site has boat traffic. Sometimes we are able to make great art by being in the right place at the right time with the right tools, but more often, you need to plan, have the vision to bring the elements all together. I hope I've helped.

Jim

Last edited by buckeye_Jim; 02-12-2011 at 07:13 AM.
02-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

If the subject is "random man" and the way he looks happy/peaceful watching the water then he is too far away. You cannot see his face, his expression, etc. As a landscape it doesn't quote work either as overexposure has killed colours/contrast and the rusty bars aren't very appealing.

You could have tried different shots at different focal lengths (given you had the 28-200mm on) and then seen which you like best.
02-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

I prefer a less "busy" composition. You might try cropping down from the top — to a point slightly above the top of the man's head.
Yes, that would be a very shallow photograph, and its sense of place would be weaker. However, the new cropping would emphasize the man.
After cropping down from the top, you might also want to crop up a bit from the bottom if you think there's too much ground in the foreground. (That would make the photo even shallower, of course.)
I make these suggestions because you mention the importance to you of the man and the flowing water, not the trees, buildings, etc. in the background.
Best wishes.

02-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The consensus that the image would have more impact with a stronger subject matter in the frame with few distracting background elements is quite universal with most images. This image would be difficult to improve though given that the subject is framed in a way that if cropped would take away much of what the intended ambience was to be to form the photo.

Keep trying with this in mind.
02-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback, the park is only about 3 miles from where I work and about 15 miles from the house so I plan on spending alot of time there this summer when it warms up. We have for the last 3 years with my oldest daughter. I took just the one picture of the man, he didn't know I took it (there were ducks around I was taking pictures of) and I didn't want him to weird out on me...you know strange girl taking pictures of him in the middle of the park!