Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #1

Red Sky At Night
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: Kx Photo Location: Montana ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F13.5 

Taken late in the evening on Feb 12. Very windy. Hand held, braced against a tree. This sunset developed and then disappeared in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited by jkwhawk; 10-26-2011 at 10:25 AM.
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a very nice capture. Too bad you didn't have a solid tripod at hand. There is a bit of softness in the hill outline that could have been solved with one. But better to take the shot with what you had at hand than not. Nice work.
02-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
nice! is that zoomed in? would like to see it wider also
02-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It's a very nice capture. Too bad you didn't have a solid tripod at hand. There is a bit of softness in the hill outline that could have been solved with one. But better to take the shot with what you had at hand than not. Nice work.
Thank you. This view is from my driveway and when I saw it coming, I didn't even have time to mount the monopod. The attached will give you an idea of how windy and dark it was. I'd like to say it is an artistic rendering, but it was just windy. I think this is like the one that got away. Jim

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamilton Quote
nice! is that zoomed in? would like to see it wider also
Yes. About half way on the lens. I agree that wider would be better. But honestly I didn't even think about it. I was just trying not to get blown over and trying to catch something before it was gone. Thanks! Jim

Last edited by jkwhawk; 10-26-2011 at 10:25 AM.
02-13-2011, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I had a look at the EXIF data and I would suggest a different choice next time. You were at ISO800, that's fine, in fact with a K-x you could have gone to 1600 safely. Aperture was f14 and shutter speed at 1/125th. I would have opened up to maybe f8 and increased the shutter speed. That would have helped with the wind and ensuring the far horizon line was frozen better.

Overall nice effort given the conditions.
02-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I had a look at the EXIF data and I would suggest a different choice next time. You were at ISO800, that's fine, in fact with a K-x you could have gone to 1600 safely. Aperture was f14 and shutter speed at 1/125th. I would have opened up to maybe f8 and increased the shutter speed. That would have helped with the wind and ensuring the far horizon line was frozen better.

Overall nice effort given the conditions.
Your point is well taken and I learned something here. This was shot at 1/25th and I knew that was a problem. I never thought about opening up to f8 because I wanted a DOF that would include the hills in the foreground. It never occurred to me that it was dark enough that I couldn't really see any sharpness in the hills anyway. So this one got away, but I'll be ready the next time. Since my camera has a tripod shoe already mounted, I'll also leave the tripod in the closet folded, but fully extended. Thanks for your input. It makes this critique section really worthwhile. Jim
02-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately there is considerable camera shake blur, and Peter's suggestion is right on - knowing your settings beforehand will help you understand what ones are appropriate for your conditions.

The other important facet of this image is the foreground, which is far too dark to appreciate. It is a candidate for HDR processing, or worth hanging around the scene for a few more minutes to allow the ambient light in the sky to dissipate further and permit a more balanced light over the mountains.