Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My walk through town
Lens: Kit Lens Camera: Pentax K-7 

These are the pictures I promised I would post in my threat about feeling awkward about taking my camera through town for a photographic walk. I think these are pretty awful but please let me know what you think, I am always looking for advice to improve myself.

It's a boring town. Not much to shoot.

02-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#1 i would have stepped back a bit moved a little left and and got the sensor more parallel to the subject plane nice b/w though it has potential
#2 is well composed and exposed and a pretty standard British shot it think, well done

#3 has great texture and colours and would probably work well as a texture in PS particularly in b/w as well, though the colour works well here. It would be interesting in b/w with some heavy film grain and perhaps an orange filter or a green one....?
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
#1 i would have stepped back a bit moved a little left and and got the sensor more parallel to the subject plane nice b/w though it has potential
#2 is well composed and exposed and a pretty standard British shot it think, well done

#3 has great texture and colours and would probably work well as a texture in PS particularly in b/w as well, though the colour works well here. It would be interesting in b/w with some heavy film grain and perhaps an orange filter or a green one....?
Thank you for your input Eddie1960, I agree, I really hated shot 1, I could have done better. I am surprised that you like the second shot, in my opinion there was something missing. The third one I took to make a desktop background and it works really well.
02-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Thank you for your input Eddie1960, I agree, I really hated shot 1, I could have done better. I am surprised that you like the second shot, in my opinion there was something missing. The third one I took to make a desktop background and it works really well.
the second is more because it is kind of iconic, i've seen variants of it for a long time. i think more blue in the sky would have helped it
tightening the framing and making it run on corner to the other would be more balanced as well.

actually as a desktop 3 would work well (i'm never happy with my desktop and am always changing it lol)

02-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, not a whole lot to say about these... for the first one, there's not much context and there isn't a strong subject. Not sure the b/w conversion is helping much either, it just makes everything blend together to me.

#2, again lacks a certain amount of context to me. I'm curious what this clock is attached to.

#3 is kinda pleasing but there isn't much in the matter of subject matter (it is, afterall, a brick wall).

Keep at it, and don't be afraid to shoot. It's perfectly natural to hesitate around others, but it's worth it if you get a great shot.
02-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Well, not a whole lot to say about these... for the first one, there's not much context and there isn't a strong subject. Not sure the b/w conversion is helping much either, it just makes everything blend together to me.

#2, again lacks a certain amount of context to me. I'm curious what this clock is attached to.

#3 is kinda pleasing but there isn't much in the matter of subject matter (it is, afterall, a brick wall).

Keep at it, and don't be afraid to shoot. It's perfectly natural to hesitate around others, but it's worth it if you get a great shot.
Hi, thank you so much for your input.

The Clock was attached to a tower which is only 2 meters away from a Burger King, there was not really a way to get it into the shot without including Burger King and Game so I did my best to get the clock without the surrounding ugliness.
02-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
juu
Veteran Member

#1 has most potential, but as is needs a bit stepping away and shooting from a bit lower angle, and improvements in constrast/exposure. If you could somehow show the texture of the doors in the picture, it would result in a very good shot.

#2 is too dark and I don't like the angle. Probably shooting with more telephoto and further apart could improve it.

#3 - increase exposure and provide 100% crops of corners .