Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

University Of New Mexico people/approach/test...Don't be ashamed!
Lens: 50mm Sigma 1.4 HSM Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: New Mexico 

Based on a thread started recently by Student, which was labeled "Ashamed of taking my camera for a walk through town...", I decided I would do a little test. Since I am a student at UNM and have never brought my camera on campus I thought I would see what kind of reactions I get from people when I photograph them with and without permission. Please keep in mind this was not conducted in a scientific manner, but I wanted to see if I attracted the same negative attention that Student did in the above thread. I will also mention that many who know me well, consider me to be rather serious and to have a dry sense of humor and have often commented on how hard I am to read, as I often look mad, but in reality I just look that way when I am in deep thought. So in order to force myself to stay close to the subjects I chose to photograph, I decided I would only use one lense, which was the Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM. This assured that I was obvious and more likely to attract some attention. I also had the grip attached to my camera, mainly because I can't stand the fit of the K5/K7 without it, but I also considered it may help attract attention as the camera resembles a more professional looking camera with it. I am looking for CC on the photos that I post and comments regarding the reason I did this. Please keep in mind though that the light was extremely hash that day and I did not bring and diffusers, reflectors, or flashes, and I generally don't use the on camera pop up flash.

Students Thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/132375-ashamed-taking...ough-town.html

**I will also mention this was the first time I have ever specifically tried to photograph strangers, with the exception of weddings, but in that case you are accepted, because you are supposed to be there.**

Photo 1.... ISO 125, F2.2, I/800, manual, processed with some minor adjustments in RAW and split tone.

I saw this young lady reading a book near the duck pond and approached her and introduced myself and asked if she would mind if I took a portrait photo of her. She inquired as to why in a very interested manner and I explained it was for an experiment that required photographing people on campus. That was good enough for her, she said go for it and then asked if I would like to have her pose in a certain way. I suggested that she jump right back to her book where I had interrupted her and I would try a few just how she was when I first saw her. I quickly composed and tried my best to balance the horrible light and took four shots. I complemented her, showed her my favorite on the LCD screen and thanked her for her time. I spent less then five minutes total, so far not bad, I will say one for one.

Photo 1a....Same girl after I said she was gorgeous and doing a great job. same settings as above except at 1/250sec

Photo 1b....Last photo I asked if I could see her beautiful smile and she graciously complied! Same settings as 1a

Photo 2 ISO 125, 1/640sec, f2.8, split toned and minor adjustments in RAW
Saw this guy reading the paper walked up to him with no introduction and said "hey man do you mind if I take your photo?" He said"go for it" I took two photos quickly thanked him and walked off. Time spent, maybe 30 seconds and that's two for two.

Photo 3 ISo 125, F3.2, 1/640sec.
She was listening to her Ipod, Although I couldn't tell when I walked up to her. With no introduction I asked if I could take her photo just how she was. I did this trying to keep a serious look on my face and with no introduction. She said "sure" and promptly put her her ear bud back in and went back to looking at her phone. I took one photo said thank you and left. Three for three!

Photo 4 ISO 160, F2.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM, 1/320sec., manual, split toned, adjusted in adobe RAW
This guy was playing his mini guitar(not sure what it is really called) singing a song about driving a hybrid and carpooling. I just walked up and started taking a few photos, smiled and kept on walking. Until I hear "hey man" at which point I stop turn around to look at him with an inquisitive stare. He goes on "did any of them come out" I reply "hope so". He then beckons me back and explains that he is on campus to spread awareness about hybrids and the importance of carpooling when possible. He asks if I can send him one of the photos and promptly writes his email on a scrap of paper while I explain that I had in fact carpooled that very day to campus(seriously). So I guess that will be considered four for four, but I think people playing instruments in a public place are probably more receptive to being photographed in general. **I am really not happy with this black & white conversion so please give some CC. I did a little localized exposure comp, adjusted levels to try and bring the blown HL in to control. Also did some small adjustments for individual colors, but as I mentioned it seems like it could be a lot better.**

Many more to come!!!

Last edited by C-Factor; 02-20-2011 at 09:28 PM.
02-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the first photo!! I have a very hard time photographing people and an even harder time approaching strangers to photograph so I appreciate your work here.
02-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment and the first photo was my favorite pick as well. In fact I only posted the other two of the same girl in order to show her reaction and receptiveness to being photographed.
02-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wonderful job! I never seem to have problems getting people to let me shoot them.

02-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots. Yep, it can definitely be scary to approach strangers, until you give yourself a reason to do so. Kinda curious how these look in color though!
02-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Nice shots. Yep, it can definitely be scary to approach strangers, until you give yourself a reason to do so. Kinda curious how these look in color though!
Thanks for the comments and I will post some of the color versions as well. I didn't like the color version of the first girl and the girl in front of the pond, but the guy with the guitar may be best in Color. I will get them posted for some comparisons soon. I have been forcing myself to shoot with the black and white SD card loaded into my camera so I can get better at them, but not every subject looks it's best in B&W....
02-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I like 1 and 3. =)

02-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I really appreciate this experiment, as it's something that I've been thinking a lot about lately. The photos turned out great.

The weather looks beautiful there. I'm jealous.
02-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to consider getting your models' names and contact information in case you later decide you want to contact them — perhaps to photograph them for another project. And you might also consider trying to get signed model releases in case some future commercial project comes to mind.
Best wishes.
02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Forum Member

SMF good point. This is sonething iu have been trying to make myself do. Any suggestion on where to find forms that wont make people want to take it home and call a lawyer to look it over?
02-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
You might want to consider getting your models' names and contact information in case you later decide you want to contact them — perhaps to photograph them for another project. And you might also consider trying to get signed model releases in case some future commercial project comes to mind.
Best wishes.
Sounds like a good idea to me, except that will produce a whole new challenge with some people. Let's see, I just got permission to photograph a beautiful girl and now I have to ask for contact information....Could make some people question my motives, but I f I present it in the right way it may work. Perhaps this week I will give it a try, but I wonder what my wife will think......

Anyone have one of these model release forms?
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Personally, I wouldn't present a model release form in that situation. I would, however, offer to email them a copy of the photo(s).
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brenda Lee Quote
Personally, I wouldn't present a model release form in that situation. I would, however, offer to email them a copy of the photo(s).
That seems more appropriate to me and you never know I may actually meet someone that was thinking of modeling and ask me for the opportunity.
04-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Regarding contact information, why not print some low-cost biz cards with your name and an e-mail address, and simply tell them if they'd like a copy, feel free to send you a message. That way you're not invading their privacy, unless they decide to pursue it further. You can always set up a free addy on yahoo or gmail for the purposes of your experiment.