Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Drift Corolla
Lens: DA* 50-135 f/2.8 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Victoria BC ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F13.5 

I love the clarity of this picture but I'm not sure about some of the rest of it. Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

02-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In a perfect world I'd want the car to be a bit more brightly painted to contrast with the dust more, and there would be a tad more room on the left for it to slide in to, and to balance the plume.

Back in this world, this is well executed - sharp, well balanced and well framed. Nice panning.
02-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Good Job

That's a very good shot in my opinion, good subject sharpness on a non-distinct panning background that gives great context of speed. Since you wanted a critique... I'd straighten it. That could be a personal thing... but I find the slight angle a little distracting. Of course, if this has not already been cropped, you may not have enough to straighten.
02-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pic and nice car. Looks like an AE86 to me. The car that made drifting famous from Japan. Pretty rare, and expensive now...you can see why

02-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I think it's a phenomenal capture. If it had one flaw, I would say it's that little vertical fleck to the left of the car. I'd have to Photoshop that out. :P
02-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice shot. I wish they had these types of events in my area but it's not happening anytime soon.

As for the paint scheme of the car. I understand the black and white of the car is in reference to the manga/anime japanese animation of IntialD which the hero of the story had a black and white AE86 Toyota.
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
In a perfect world I'd want the car to be a bit more brightly painted to contrast with the dust more, and there would be a tad more room on the left for it to slide in to, and to balance the plume.

Back in this world, this is well executed - sharp, well balanced and well framed. Nice panning.
Perfect worlds are nice i agree, I'll try the more room on the left again... didnt quite work for me last night but then again i was half asleep.

QuoteOriginally posted by firefly Quote
That's a very good shot in my opinion, good subject sharpness on a non-distinct panning background that gives great context of speed. Since you wanted a critique... I'd straighten it. That could be a personal thing... but I find the slight angle a little distracting. Of course, if this has not already been cropped, you may not have enough to straighten.
I know what you mean, nit my favorite method... but the audience I deal with seems to like them better on an angle... not 100% sure why yet

QuoteOriginally posted by Brenda Lee Quote
I think it's a phenomenal capture. If it had one flaw, I would say it's that little vertical fleck to the left of the car. I'd have to Photoshop that out. :P
I'm going have to do that when i get home... didnt notice it but now it's pretty glaring haha

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Very nice shot. I wish they had these types of events in my area but it's not happening anytime soon.

As for the paint scheme of the car. I understand the black and white of the car is in reference to the manga/anime japanese animation of IntialD which the hero of the story had a black and white AE86 Toyota.
check out 613DriftWerks , lots of events posted up there that will keep you busy all year.

02-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Round 2.... Better or worse?

02-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I prefer the angled version. It has a better sense of movement. I also like it better without the extra space on the left, because it adds to the sense of danger -- almost like they're going to slide right out of the frame. Plus it places the car in better composition.
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Uh Oh, contraversy.... I prefer #2.
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brenda Lee Quote
I prefer the angled version. It has a better sense of movement. I also like it better without the extra space on the left, because it adds to the sense of danger -- almost like they're going to slide right out of the frame. Plus it places the car in better composition.
Well said, I agree.
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the first version first. It's an excellent shot with a great sense of movement, but something about it just didn't feel right... I've figured it out. The saturation of the greens in the background distracts from the subject, and the background has a little too much magenta overall. I would probably selectively increase the green tint in the background while lowering the saturation in the bushes a little, and maybe increase the saturation on the drivers face (which is also a little too magenta) while brightening the orange headlights a tad.

[Salt Shaker: my monitor has not been carefully calibrated and may not match yours or those or other site readers, so I may be off]
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the opinions! always good to hear both sides of a discussion on an image and why some people like one over the other!

Side note... my screen is also calibrated its not magenta here. I spent a fair bit of time getting any cast off it so I'm pretty sure im good there but i'll do another check.

What are you using to calibrate your screen?
02-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

@Gaelen - @er1kksen said their monitor has *not* been calibrated - if yours has and it's ok to you, I guess it's ok.

I wouldn't fancy making all those tweaks in the darkroom - amazing how quickly things change.

Both images are very, very good IMHO.
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha I totally read that wrong! thanks

well I calibrate my screen every 2-3 weeks as i do mostly graphic/web design work on top of my photography so colour is important.

I wouldn't want to do all those fixes in a darkroom either... that would be insane!

Thanks!