Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #1

Winter's Back
Lens: 35mm f2.8 Macro Ltd Camera: Kx Photo Location: Montana ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F16 

Very late on a cold, cloudy day with snow showers. The sun has pretty well set behind the mountains. Any suggestions on what else to do with a picture of browns and grays on a dark day? Thanks. Jim

Last edited by jkwhawk; 10-26-2011 at 10:25 AM.
02-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Lovely photo. Stay warm tonight!

Jim
02-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see where the fence in the foreground would have beckoned to be shot, but if it were me - I would have left out the ditch of snow entirely so that the bottom portion of the photo was just those beautifully textured, well-lit hills. So you would have had more sky, which I imagine was dull and heavy in that winter way, but I don't think it would have actually detracted from your photo since the scene is already so desolate (in a good way!).
02-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
I can see where the fence in the foreground would have beckoned to be shot, but if it were me - I would have left out the ditch of snow entirely so that the bottom portion of the photo was just those beautifully textured, well-lit hills. So you would have had more sky, which I imagine was dull and heavy in that winter way, but I don't think it would have actually detracted from your photo since the scene is already so desolate (in a good way!).
I agree. I cropped out the fence. And then the fence and the ditch. And then I got this overwhelming urge to crop the clouds to balance the picture. When I did that, I lost the lighter clouds in the top left and was left with an ugly gray mass. So I didn't do anything. Right thing to do? Beats me. Thanks for your reply!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by buckeye_Jim Quote
Lovely photo. Stay warm tonight!

Jim
Thanks! No problem staying warm tonight. But last night (when this was taken) was a different story.

02-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

Great shot. I'd crop a few pixels off the top. Cropping from the bottom might not work for the reasons you listed.
02-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jkwhawk Quote
I agree. I cropped out the fence. And then the fence and the ditch. And then I got this overwhelming urge to crop the clouds to balance the picture. When I did that, I lost the lighter clouds in the top left and was left with an ugly gray mass. So I didn't do anything. Right thing to do? Beats me. Thanks for your reply!!!
You're most welcome

In my playing with your photo by just scrolling up and down, I never imagined it without those light clouds at the top - they help balance those golden hills. If anything, I wish that there were MORE light clouds, but I love negative space and wide lenses.