Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ladies of Color in Technicolor
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Beaufort, SC ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F5.6 

Shutter speed was actually 1/2500s. I would love to get some feedback on this one. Not my thing taking candid shots of strangers but the ladies were very nice about it and I did love their clothing and hair. I was actually practicing hand-holding the lens that day in prep for our next trip and had removed the ND filter so I could keep the ISO at least at 400. Could have dropped it to 100 though as I didn't need a shutter speed that fast. It was also taken about 3PM so not the best time.

02-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It is indeed colorful, but half of them are looking away, so it does not keep my interest too long.
02-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input SpecialK. Is it not acceptable for people to be looking away in a candid photo? I didn't want them to pose but I really don't do this kind of stuff so I have no idea how to make it work.
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks for the input SpecialK. Is it not acceptable for people to be looking away in a candid photo? I didn't want them to pose but I really don't do this kind of stuff so I have no idea how to make it work.

Yes it is acceptable, of course. It is not so interesting, perhaps.

02-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with you, I think the ISO could go lower; I can see the noise. I really like the colours, and I think people looking away is not a bad thing; its just that I think its framed too tight. When people are not looking at the camera I always think its best to give some context to the viewer as to what they are looking at or where they are at. In this case, the bodiless hand and the tight frame leaves me wondering; why and where are they sitting, and whose hand is that holding a flower up to them? (which could be an even cooler subject to shoot, a child holding up a flower to a mother who is on a cellphone)

Other than that, I think its a great shot I dont have the courage of taking shots of strangers
02-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice colors there. I never noticed the hand with a flower. I need to improve my observation skills, should help me in composition.
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh the hand with the flower. It was a young boy and he was handing it to his mom but I cropped him out because the background was busy. LOL. Maybe I will have another look and put him back in. Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate it.

02-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Colors a little too saturated for my taste and more eye contact would add to compelling quality of image. If shot from about 45 degreess more to the left I think it would be way better.
02-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's pretty "rich" in color, but I like it. I like it that they look natural and not looking at you, not posed. Interesting? Who knows what any individual finds interesting......I find this one interesting enough to comment. The only thing I don't like is the cell phone, but I am a cell phone hater, so I don't count there......
Best Regards!
02-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mark for the help. Believe it or not, the colors were not saturated by me but they were the reason I took the photo. I had to go back and compare it to the original to be sure but all I did was resize and add a bit of sharpening.
Thanks Rupert. I agree on the cell phone but it is amazing how addictive we find them now.
02-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

slowpez
I actually like it the way it is. they are looking at the hand, and its kind of a slow surprise because the grand ladies are so much fun to look at on their own.

I wouldn't include the boy, the subtle hand is just fine. possibly cut out the laps so one sees a panorama of the joyful faces and the offered flowers.

nice shot
02-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique Phil. Is this one a little more to everyone's liking? I tried to clone out a really awful looking car behind the boy's head but it didn't go too well.

02-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like this better
02-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #14

The second edit is better, it gives a more complete idea of what is taking place in the photo. Great catch!
02-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks for the critique Phil. Is this one a little more to everyone's liking? I tried to clone out a really awful looking car behind the boy's head but it didn't go too well.
It is way much better - the boy and flower makes the photo complete, and explains why the other are looking where they are.