Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #1

My new photos website
Camera: K10, K20, K5 

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

I just created a new photography website with some landscape, nature and candid galleries.

It's a collection of my favorite photos shot over the last 4 years, using first a K10, then a K20 and now a K5.

I would really appreciate any remarks or suggestions whether good or bad (I really mean it), regarding the photos as well as the site in general (look, layout, etc.).

Also, don't hesitate to point out photos you think are not worth it! I'm very open-minded and I won't get offended by negative remarks

And last but not least, it would be awesome if you were to tell me which ones are your favorite ones?

Here is the site: Captured by Flo

Thank you very much for your input!
--Florent

02-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good simple website - quick to load, and no frills.
Monkeys and what looks to be an African landscape at dusk seems to be the picks for me.
Some of the others are good, but some such as the wilderbeast? shot aren't all that special.
As your portfolio grows I'm sure you'll have plenty more to endow the frontpage with.
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ash

Thank you for your comments and input, I really appreciate it!

I noticed it sometimes loads slowly, but maybe it's only because I'm accessing it from Switzerland, I'm not sure.

Good to hear the wildbeest shot is not that appealing to you. I chose it because I liked the high contrast clouds over the herd of animals. However, you're right it's not that special. I may remove it from the portfolio then
02-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Water, Macro and Landscapes are lovely.

QuoteOriginally posted by thxbb12 Quote
Also, don't hesitate to point out photos you think are not worth it! I'm very open-minded and I won't get offended by negative remarks
Since you asked for it. And I hope u mean it...
I don't like most of the Candids section though. Unless it is for some kind of documentary purpose to enable a cause, I just have a problem with taking candids of poor people. But that's just me....Granted these photos are not of people starving or anything. Maybe you should include some candids of some rich swiss folks to make it seem less so?

02-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
The Water, Macro and Landscapes are lovely.

Thanks!

Since you asked for it. And I hope u mean it...
I don't like most of the Candids section though. Unless it is for some kind of documentary purpose to enable a cause, I just have a problem with taking candids of poor people. But that's just me....Granted these photos are not of people starving or anything. Maybe you should include some candids of some rich swiss folks to make it seem less so?
Thank you for being honest, I appreciate it.
I don't think these photos illustrate poverty by any means and they never meant to be. They just capture an instant, a moment in life. It happens to be in Tanzania I visited a couple of months ago.
I'm pretty new to "street" photography and I started doing it there because I will probably not go back (or in a long time). I'll certainly add more shots to this galleries, and it will probably be of Swiss people although not everyone is rich as many outsiders may think (however, the income distribution is just much more even than in the US for example; in fact, rich US people are more rich than Swiss people).
I like the first one because the lighting was close to perfect and it was a "slice" of life. I took a shot of the women on the beach because I liked their very colorful cloths. For the rest I'm not sure what you're referring to in terms of poverty?
02-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's an excellent site, with excellent pictures! Just needs a favicon.

Paul
02-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, Paul.
Good thing you mentioned the favicon as I had totally forgotten to create one.
I now added one, but I'm not that happy with it... I guess I'll work more on it

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion!

02-27-2011, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I enjoyed most of the pictures in your site. Thanks for sharing. =)
02-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I loved most all your photos.

In seeking opinions: There are people who like one thing or another (or dislike one thing... or another), but that doesn't mean you should automatically yank any given photo.

If a dozen people in a row chime in and say 'such-and-such' photo isn't very good, perhaps that is indicative of a real-world reaction ---> meaning a market-affecting reaction, assuming you want to market your skills as a photographer.

Overall, I'd say your photos display a range of photography skills - landscapes, macros, street scenes, etc.
---------------------

I'm curious about the objection to photos of poor people? I see people. People exist under all conditions. Should some conditions be portrayed and others not? I honestly don't understand the comment.

In fact, several of the Tanzanians have fine cloth (clue to 'not so poor') and the Corsicans don't seem to be starving. The first photo in Tanzania seems to be a market scene -- as in a market scene billions of people encounter every day all over the world. I guess you could balance it with a white person in a Walmart. (?) The fishermen have a boat with a motor (not cheap) and nets. Relative to their country's condition, it appears that you have not exploited poor people over any other type of people. Venice beach bicyclists, in fact, are probably owners of more net worth than 75% of the world's population.

Is photographing poor people exploitation? Is it a manipulative heart-tug? Is it taking advantage for personal gain? I don't mean to be critical of psychdoc's comment. I'm just talking (typing) out loud, trying to understand the comment.
----------------------

Thanks for sharing your site and pics. You get two thumbs up from me!

Edit: Question: Are those orange rocks really that color? What causes it? I've never seen anything like that and I always like to learn. Thanks!

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 02-27-2011 at 01:52 AM.
02-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Banned

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

I just created a new photography website with some landscape, nature and candid galleries.

It's a collection of my favorite photos shot over the last 4 years, using first a K10, then a K20 and now a K5.

I would really appreciate any remarks or suggestions whether good or bad (I really mean it), regarding the photos as well as the site in general (look, layout, etc.).

And last but not least, it would be awesome if you were to tell me which ones are your favorite ones?

Here is the site: Captured by Flo

Thank you very much for your input!
--Florent
After consistently seeing mediocre shots by 98% of the posts on this forum it is refreshing to see some work by a photographer who not only knows what they are doing but uses the equipment instead of complaining about the EQUIPMENT not producing good results.As a retired pro with 50yrs experience I can say I was impressed with the quality of your work.Display what YOU like because it is a subjective field,Keep shooting and enjoy.
02-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thought I would have a quick look at your gallery but it ended up being an extended look. You have a lot of really wonderful shots. I loved the "It's all in the Details" album the most but your landscapes and wildlife photos are also wonderful.
02-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I loved most all your photos.

In seeking opinions: There are people who like one thing or another (or dislike one thing... or another), but that doesn't mean you should automatically yank any given photo.

If a dozen people in a row chime in and say 'such-and-such' photo isn't very good, perhaps that is indicative of a real-world reaction ---> meaning a market-affecting reaction, assuming you want to market your skills as a photographer.

Overall, I'd say your photos display a range of photography skills - landscapes, macros, street scenes, etc.
---------------------

I'm curious about the objection to photos of poor people? I see people. People exist under all conditions. Should some conditions be portrayed and others not? I honestly don't understand the comment.

In fact, several of the Tanzanians have fine cloth (clue to 'not so poor') and the Corsicans don't seem to be starving. The first photo in Tanzania seems to be a market scene -- as in a market scene billions of people encounter every day all over the world. I guess you could balance it with a white person in a Walmart. (?) The fishermen have a boat with a motor (not cheap) and nets. Relative to their country's condition, it appears that you have not exploited poor people over any other type of people. Venice beach bicyclists, in fact, are probably owners of more net worth than 75% of the world's population.

Is photographing poor people exploitation? Is it a manipulative heart-tug? Is it taking advantage for personal gain? I don't mean to be critical of psychdoc's comment. I'm just talking (typing) out loud, trying to understand the comment.
----------------------

Thanks for sharing your site and pics. You get two thumbs up from me!

Edit: Question: Are those orange rocks really that color? What causes it? I've never seen anything like that and I always like to learn. Thanks!

YucatanPentax, thank you very much for your kind comments, I really appreciate it
Regarding spychdoc's comment, I can't agree more with you!
I think a good estimator of the "interestingness" of a photo is its number of hits (ie. number of views). A photo not viewed much means probably it shouldn't be included in the first place I guess.

Regarding the orange rocks: yes they were really this color. Amazing isn't it? I believe it's a type of orange lichen that makes these rocks to appear so bright orange.
I found this page which explains a little bit more about it: Orange Lichen on Rocks, Coles Bay | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
02-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #13

Original Poster
Kryss,

Thanks you a lot for your feedback. Coming from a pro with 50 years of experience it is an honor, really
I've been impressed with Pentax since I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K10D. As you, I see many people complaining about this or that, but in the end, I found it's all about knowing well the camera and being used to it. It's all about practicing and practicing, with many trails and errors.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your feedback!
02-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Florent,
I just went back to insure that I remembered correctly. You say you were inspired to buy a DSLR 4 years ago? four?

I wish 1/2 of my photos turned out as beautiful as yours. I think you have an excellent eye for an image and a mastery of your equipment that lets you capture it. Fantastic. Four years.

Do you mind sharing with us some of the lenses you use with your cameras? I know that the equipment isn't the key, but I'm curious if you used kit lenses or have acquired some others? The sharpness, clarity and color continue to amaze me.

And thank you for the link about the orange lichen. A fine image of an unusual natural phenomenon.

Would you mind taking a pass through the Yucatan and seeing what images you may capture?
I'm very curious as to what may catch your eye there.

Cheers my friend!
02-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'll certainly add more shots to this galleries, and it will probably be of Swiss people although not everyone is rich as many outsiders may think (however, the income distribution is just much more even than in the US for example; in fact, rich US people are more rich than Swiss people).

For the rest I'm not sure what you're referring to in terms of poverty?

Again, as I said in the original post-you take great pictures. But you asked for criticism!! If it was not constructive I apologize.

I was not trying to specifically note that the word ‘rich’ and Swiss go together- if your location had said London, I would have said to consider including some rich British people too.

Having lived in a 'third-world' country for many years before coming to the U.S, I always found it disconcerting to see 'candid' photos of the relatively poorer class of people.

Whenever I see photographers shoot candids [excluding paparzzi] it is not of the wealthier class. We don’t see very many candids of rich people standing around do you?

Again, this is relatively minor. Everybody has their pet peeves. This was the only thing I found that I would have done different. Otherwise keep doing what you are doing. You are talented.