Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I Closer?
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

I am processing some leftover shots from the last shoot with the girls....and think these are some of my best efforts to date. I can see some problems, but honestly, I just get lost and confused the more I look, so you guys tell me what you think, and how I might proceed to improve next time. You have all helped me a lot in the past, and it is not without much appreciation!
Best Regards
Rupert

Lacie- Not sure the processing is up to the shot here, but I did what I could, processing is not my best skill.......I don't really have a "best skill" except for eating Pizza with the girls....I'm real good at at that!
[IMG] [/IMG]

This is one of my favorites of Lacie, and again, I question the processing and also the crop? It is a heavy crop, but it seemed to still leave the "look" I desired?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Same here, but in this one I see some skin tones that are not to my liking. Not sure just how to go about the corrections?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Any advice or help is appreciated, you are always welcome to download any of my shots for the purpose of improving them or rendering your version to re-post here. I have no goals of becoming a "money" shooter or advancing into any sort of business venture, but I do want to be as good as my limitations will allow.
Thanks again!

02-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would say some pizzazz on the background would not hurt. Put a little shadow or something on it. You can use a little group of twigs or flowers or a fork or anything in front of a small flash to cast something onto the background.
02-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

Here's my rendition. I took it as a mini post-processing challenge.

My Post-Processing:
1. Contrast. I think this made the biggest difference.
2. Slight Vignette. This compounded with the contrast added some dynamics and excitement
3. Selective sharpening/unsharpening. I may have gone a bit overboard, but essentially sharpened the eyes slightly and unsharpened everything else except the hair and hat. (This includes smoothing the skin a bit, even though she's got some great skin)
4. Skinnier crop, just because I don't like square crops. Yet. :P

Nothing real fancy here. Just some fun with Lightroom's local adjustments. What do you use for PP?
Attached Images

02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Rupert, your #2 is a stunning version of Lacie.
Perfectly posed, nicely arranged hair, the hat looks good one her , though her choice of top isn't so appealing IMO. Kyro's PP challenge is a fine improvement, but I agree that background could do some working on.
#1 and 3 seem to suffer from camera shake, and the poses aren't quite right. Keep on doing what you're doing in #2 - you got the right formula there...

02-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The second photograph is masterful!

In photos 1 and 3, I'd prefer that the shadow on the left edge of her face (as we view the photo) be lighter or not there.
02-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #6

For me, the absolute winner is number 2. First thing I noticed in 1 & 3 is camera shake.
02-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

#s 1 and 2 are great. There is something that doesn't seem quite right to me about #3, but I can't figure out just what.
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll try to respond...I have twice and both times lost my internet connection.....Charter!

Jim, I think it is the skin tone in that one, it is definitely not right. The second one.....not perfect but I could live with a lot of them like that! Thanks!

Marbi, Thanks, I like it too! Camera shake is right, I was just moving around from spot to spot with the K20D and was not watching the speed.

Smf, Thank you too! Yes, the shadows were a little disturbing, I need to work harder to eliminate them, no doubt. Sometimes they bother me, other times not.

Ash, Thanks, I thought you might like #2...the others have some problems as noted, but if I can keep improving, I will be a happy boy!

Best Regards & Thanks to all for your replies!
Rupert

02-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi Rupert,

adding my two cents for improvement, if you have a tripod, i prefer to use it in studio setting. It will totally help with the camera shake. If it is unwieldy to use, I have found that a good ball head will go miles into making tripod easier.

I find that the slight shadow casted by the hair in photo 3 a little distracting; plus the shake, and finally I think you caught her at the end of a smile.

But your number 2 shot is job well done! I'd like all my shots to turn out like that
02-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks D4.....I use a tripod some, but like to move around a lot and it is so confining to use a tripod. You are right though.......it does make a difference. The shadow was a little distracting, but I saw it too late....when downloading the shots!
Best Regards!
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #11

Hmmm...you shouldn't be getting any camera shake if your using strobe. If your using tungsten light bump up the shutter to at 1/120.
03-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

#2 is great! I would do a touch of skin smoothing and a bit of "glamour glow" effect, but then I'm a PP junkie