Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which post-processing do you prefer?
Lens: Promaster 70-300 @ 70mm Camera: K100D Photo Location: Tacoma Narrows, WA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 

Hi all. This shot was taken shortly before dusk, using my K100D with 70-300 mounted, on my monopod (I was also sitting on a rather slippery hillside trying to get a view above the chainlink fence, any lack of stability is my fault).

Just curious which PP treatment you prefer. The darker one was pretty much left alone except for resize and a bit of sharpening afterwards. The lighter one had some tweaks to the levels as well, to lighten it up in the shadows and boost the contrast. The B&W version was done using the "Enhance" > "Convert to Black & White" option in PS Elements 6, the "scenic landscapes" settings with just wee bit of tweaking the sliders.

The lighter color version is approximately as the Mark I Eyeball perceived the scene...

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like light -> BW -> dark in this order. In the dark version, I find it hard to determine the main subject of the photo. The towers are prominent in the dark version in contrast to light version where entire bridge is prominent.
02-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#1 for me also, Jim. The highlights are better preserved.
But this shot is worth boosting the shadow details since they form an important part of the subject.
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I would actually like the sky from #1 plus the land from #2. Not easy to mask and process with the bridge detail but thats what my eyes would enjoy most.

Last edited by imtheguy; 02-25-2011 at 06:22 AM.
02-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

I strongly prefer 1 and 2 over the b/w version.

Although I prefer the sky and distant mountain in version 1, I'd vote for 2 if forced to choose. Lee stated it well in the post immediately above mine.

All best,
Stu (an ex-Iowan)
02-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

Hi, I agree with imtheguy, I like darker sky and lighter bridge.
02-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I like #1.

02-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the brighter one most. The BW one has and "old photograph" feel to it that I also like.
02-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, always interested in getting varied opinions.

If I was masochistic enough to try and mask that sky off around the bridge cables, I'd like the combination shot too. As it is, I ended up liking the B&W version the best, just because it did have a sort of old-newspaper feel to it. One of these days I'm going to have to search out a spot with a better angle and see what I can get.

Jim
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, the darker one does have a bit nicer sky, but the eye gets pulled to it and there is nothing really up front to pull it back (as the scene is too dark).

The second one has nice colors to the bridge, but having the bright sky band washed out is not as appealing.

The B&W needs more snap/contrast to make it work. I wonder if this scene wouldn't be better a s a night or early evening shot with the bridge & land lights on and car trails?
02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #11

I like the second shot. The details in the shot are easier to see.
02-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
For me, the darker one does have a bit nicer sky, but the eye gets pulled to it and there is nothing really up front to pull it back (as the scene is too dark).

The second one has nice colors to the bridge, but having the bright sky band washed out is not as appealing.

The B&W needs more snap/contrast to make it work. I wonder if this scene wouldn't be better a s a night or early evening shot with the bridge & land lights on and car trails?
If I had waited around another 20 minutes or so, it would've been a night shot However, other duties called

Jim