Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Some of my first pictures
Lens: 55-300mm DAL Camera: Pentax K-x 

Be gentle, here are some of my first pictures taken with a DSLR. Of course they are of some of my children.

02-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're off to a good start but as noted in another thread, you'll want to get control of the exposure. Particularly on the kitty photos. There is a lot of blown out (pure white no detail) fur on some of them. Your first photo, while perhaps a little dark, displays in terms of the coat detail what I look for in such a photo. The last shot of the parrot is quite nicely done.

02-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok minus the crappy background how does this one look? I wish I could have played outside, it was thunderstorming all day...

03-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

In terms of the fur, it's better. If you used a flash (looks like you did), I'm amazed there is no doggie demon eye. I can't get a flash photo of mine that doesn't have it. You have a camera capable of very low light photography. Don't be afraid to turn off the flash and play with the ISO to get a natural look. It looks like you have enough moving life there to practice with.

Others will probably chime in here. If you really want critiques of your photos, you might want to post some larger photos. It makes details easier for us to see.

03-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you. here is a larger version, yes it was taken with flash, he is the only animal I have that never has glowing eyes, it's kind of strange.

Last edited by Lindsey; 03-01-2011 at 08:52 AM.
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You have some excellent pictures. You could probably improve the dog picture by cleaning up the background using PP.

Paul
03-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're doing reasonably well with your snapshots here.
The front flash does wash out texture and creates harsh contrast, but such is the nature of using the popup flash.
The next level of photography will require you to know how light works and use it to flatter your subjects - so firstly master ambient light, then move onto supplemental (external flash) lighting. These will improve the look of your images.