Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Silhouette Project
Lens: Sigma 18-250mm Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Dallas ISO: 200 

I recently did a final project for my photography class and the teacher didn't give me a real good critique. He didn't say much. =[ Anyways my theme was silhouettes, and how it is possible for a silhouette to represent people and how they could replace themselves with the people in the silhouettes because there is no definite identity.

This one titled "Freedom" shows how no matter how much freedom you get you will always be restricted in some form. I left it a bit grainy because I felt that it was just a bit to clean for my taste so the grain gives it some texture.

f4.5
1/4000s

This one I was trying to show fear. Chose black and white because color turned out to busy and distracting.

f4.5
1/25s

03-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good sharp monochromes here mate.
Last image is quite emotive, and I think it works well - from the framing to the use of depth of field.
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #3

I don't have really strong feelings on the first one. But I'll comment on the second.

It has a sort of cinematic quality to it. I think it definitely evokes the the feelings that you were looking for. The composition and DOF look about just right. On the other hand, I think this has been done before. I think if I went down to the movie store, I'd find a DVD cover with a similar image. This might be the reason he didn't speak much about it: he's seen it before.

One smaller item is the gun looks noticeably plastic. You're in Dallas. Don't they give clocks away with happy meals? ...kidding, but the little details of a real gun would add a bit more edginess to the picture.
03-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, the second one does seem a little bit cliche, but the original composition came to me was suppose to involve a little girl with a teddy bear. Makes it more from a movie huh? haha I really don't know how it came to me, maybe a movie stuck from the back of my mind.

The gun was a wii accessory. Still in college and I do not really know anyone with real hand guns. =[