Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Granddaughter with new K-5
Lens: DA*50-135 f2.8, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5 Camera: Pentax K-5 (NEW!!) Photo Location: My home ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2.8 

Our granddaughter came over to visit just before nap time. The two year old was so placid. In one photo, I asked her to take the pacie out of her mouth so I could take a picture. Out it came, snap went the camera, back in went the pacie. Lots of fun, but the results with the new K-5 were stunning. I did some modest PP in Aperture. The one shot with the 10-17 begged some experimentation, so I masked her, removed the background, and put a sky background in -- all my first time doing this with PS Elements 9, which I really have not used before. I welcome comments and suggestions. But I am fascinated by the discernible difference from my K-7, with which I was very pleased. Each step up, from the K-10 to K-7 to the K-5 has been significant. Can it really keep getting that much better?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Forum Member

I love that third photo. Great job!
03-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yup number 3 is the one.

Maybe take down the saturation a bit but the expression is stunning.

I'd crop out the top of the hat. The stitching in the front of the brim is distracting. Right now the eyes are too central to the image. If you crop the hat down to her hair it makes the eyes POP.

Great photo
03-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Wow. Could she be any more beautiful?! Very photogenic. I love shot 4, personally.

03-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice photos, someone is going to have to watch out for boys hanging around in a couple of years. The K-5 is really working well, guess I am going to upgrade after seeing those big blue eyes. thanks Bob
03-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
Yup number 3 is the one.

Maybe take down the saturation a bit but the expression is stunning.

I'd crop out the top of the hat. The stitching in the front of the brim is distracting. Right now the eyes are too central to the image. If you crop the hat down to her hair it makes the eyes POP.

Great photo
Hey thanks for the suggestion on the crop. Would you go thirds on the rest,or just change the proportions without regard to constraining it?
03-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's my quick crop right off your post. I tried to keep the proportion.

To me it drives you into her beautiful eyes.
Name:  crop.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  191.4 KB
03-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yep, 3 and 4 are the pick of the shots for me. Nice work for a first time Elements effort, but I find the background a little to 'unreal'. I think the exposures of the sky and the li'l darlin' dont match somehow. Perhaps less and darker sky would make her stand out a bit better. Dunno.

As for the incremental increase in technology. I too have both the K-7 and K-5. and love 'em both. I like the images out of the K-7 a smidge better at lower ISO's, but the K-5 absolutely shoots the lights out (pun intended) in the dim and dreary. This thing can see in the dark!

Can they get better? Probably. Will it make that much difference? I find it hard to see how other than increased low light performance Lower S/N ratio.

14 EV is the same or better than the range of the human eye. What else do we need?

03-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #9

Third (and fourth to a great measure) are fantastic! Nice!