Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stumped
Lens: Tamron 90 2.8 macro Camera: K-x Photo Location: The woods 

I have been working on a couple of series that involve stumps. These are in the deep woods and light is often an issue. I have gone back several times during different conditions, once with a tri-pod. I have whittled the series down to 6 each. (I know, way too many photos for a critique.)

But my questions are more general.

I am wondering if either series 1 or 2 have any artistic appeal and thus worth improving upon technically?

I am still working out depth of field issues as well as the ev.... Also, I tossed what could have been great shots as I found them either too fuzzy or "naturally" too sharp, contrasty and rough looking. Sometimes slightly out of focus on the edges works with the busyness, other times it makes me think I need glasses.

I get lost in these projects and lose objectivity. I would love to hear opinions on whether these are a worthy pursuit beyond developing technical ability. Also, any tips on photographing this type of image would be appreciated. Especially where sharp vs. soft lines and textures are concerned.

thank you

Series One

Series two

03-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tess.
Series One offers more dynamic curves and textures, which are the chief subject matter being depicted. The lighting of the scene seems to have suited you well, but the relatively flat contrast of the images can be fixed up in PP with some freehand dodging and levels/curves manipulations. The series is worth pursuing even if for the conveyance of your feelings and the fine textures shown here.

You've done nicely with them, and my suggestion would be for the closer up shots is to remember to stop down proportionally to ensure adequate depth of field in your subjects. Otherwise an interesting series to see. Thanks for sharing.
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for commenting Ash... I am encouraged to work some more on these.

I actually toned down the contrast as I thought is made the images too coarse. But I will work on enhancing them again. Perhaps I can find a more subtle compromise.

I took this one today. I stopped down on the DOF. Also, if you are still around, is the contrast in this better?

03-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicer contrast here, there are different ways to work with these images in PP. To me it's about accentuating the textures and patterns in the images - that's their forte. In this regard perhaps experiment with monochrome.

03-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

I admire the concept and your execution. I prefer series one. Within series two, I prefer images 4 and 3, in that order. Is image 3 perhaps a bit oversharpened?'
03-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am hoping to get back to these. What I want to do is just select three sections of 'series one' stump that fit together almost like a puzzle and then work on those. I can see them side-by-side in some kind of installation. The lines and textures appeal to me on a deep level.

Series two is just cool, and I had to let go of the idea it was anything but. The only image in that series that I sharpened is the last. It was taken on a different day and I liked the composition. But they are really that messy looking.

Thanks Ash and smf for having a look and sharing your comments.