Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #1

Snowshowers
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: Kx Photo Location: Montana ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F16 

I'm beginning to feel like I should get a patent on the brown, white and gray winter photo. But that's about all there is right now. This was shot in the late afternoon. Comments? Jim

Last edited by jkwhawk; 10-26-2011 at 10:25 AM.
03-06-2011, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a nice landscape with pure and rich colors but I'd like the picture to be aligned with the fence on the foreground. Also I would for some reason like to drop a bit of the bottom part away. Now you have quite a lot of sky and quite a lot of foreground land, and I keep thinking which is the part you want to show.
Overall it's a good capture of a constantly changing landscape.
03-06-2011, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the above - the negative space below the fence line doesn't quite complement the image as is. The sky here is also a little bland but the mountainscape interesting and nicely lit. The same scene captured up a little closer to the fence line and with a wider angle would be great on a day with more interesting cloud formations.
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #4

Well, I think the brown, white and gray make for a great photo!

I would crop off about 75% of the snow in the foreground. Then my eye flows easily through the irrigation equipment to the houses and then back to the mountains and the sky. The sky looks a bit hot to me in the upper right hand quadrant. It immediately draws my attention away from the rest of the photo. An ND grad would help here. If that is toned down a bit I think you would have the perfect winter mood. I have to drive miles to see a scene like this!

03-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
ASa, Ash, scottk13:
You all are certainly correct. I cropped the foreground hard and the picture improved significantly. Some day I'll be driving by this location and the lighting will be a little better. And I will us a ND filter. No hot spots the next time. Thanks to all!!!