Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
dunes
Lens: osawa 100-200 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Netherlands 

Hey there,

I went out into the dunes and forests last friday on a nice sunny day to do some shooting. I went out to capture the surroundings in which I've grown up and to capture it in a dreamy atmosphere.

I think they turned out ok... especially since the PF and CA with the el cheapo and ancient zoom-lens I used where really terrible. Might wanna redo the trick later on. Anyone advices on good lenses for this kind of photography? And or settings? I know I primarily shot these around f7.1-f10 and some even as low as f4.5, cant exactly recall with the manual lens. And offcourse also some thought on the photo's themselves?

More can be found at my website: www.hardleers.net

Last edited by Hardleers; 03-13-2011 at 04:52 PM.
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one has a really nice, dreamy look to it. I'd maybe crop the partially shown trees from each side of the pic.
The second one is IMO the one that hasn't much to offer with the blown sky taking most of my attention. Here the cheap lens effect doesn't do any good.
The third one again is pretty nice, I like the framing and the trees in the distance. Maybe a slight contrast/black boost would give it the touch it needs.
Overall a good show that you can actually work the disadvantages of the lens to your advantages, but also a reminder that you have to be very cautious when working with these things, because it's a very fine line.
03-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your comments!

I couldnt crop the first one anymore, since I have a frame in which Im going to put it and this are the dimensions... A smaller crop would lose the canopy of the trees above and the ground below and I wanted to keep those to give a sense of "being in the forest".

The second one to me is indeed very blown out, but somehow this created a really estranging effect which I liked. Being so used to the dunes and their looks, this made them into somewhat of an alien world to me. Maybe the picture is too personal...

The last one could indeed maybe have a bit of a black boost, but I tried it and it ruined the atmosphere too much for me...

Thanks again for your feedback, maybe some more on the techniques I used? The compositions etc? And which is the best type of lens for this? Im seeking some autofocus prime lenses from pentax, but not too sure which ones to get....