Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Accidentally Artistic?
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9.5 

You know old Rupert has no artistic talent, but.......

I was going through the shots from yesterday and processing a few when I came across this one which was obviously overexposed. I almost hit the delete, but.........What do you think? If I was trying for it, I doubt I could have done it, it is not something I would try for......But, if you like it I will change my story!

How I got a setting of ISO 6400 with studio strobes is a mystery to me......too much Pizza?
Best Regards!

A very pale Shelby!
[IMG] [/IMG]

I did manage to get a few that were better.......it was a day of trying to learn the K5, so I didn't have high expectations.
[IMG] [/IMG]

My favorite of the day....too bad I had ISO 6400 here too.....but I love the pose.
Pizza and Hot Wings were great......and of course we had fun...we always have fun!
[IMG] [/IMG]

03-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm not a fan of the overexposed shot. If she were dressed as a geisha, it could have worked. The second shot is awkward. The third shot I really like. It's a shame about the noise, but if you cleaned it up some in Photoshop, it could work well as an edgy, contrasty B&W.
03-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your views......the second shot was shot for a photo story, and if you knew the story it would make sense to you......not your fault that it doesn't. Third one, my favorite, In may clean it up and see what happens? First one, not my "style" but at some place they loved it?

What about this?
Attachment 86295

Just trying to get some feedback.......Thanks!

Best Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 07-09-2015 at 11:04 AM.
03-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I find the lighting too hard and flat... like it was taken with the pop up flash... the third one above is better. What lighting are you using? And how?

03-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I can't say I'm liking the pale Shelbys. They could work if toned down slightly and presented in black and white though. Might be worth a try.

03-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Id echo on Jeff's toning down and trying B&W, there is not enough contrast at first one it is burnt out...But lips are popping out. You might want to try B&W and leave lips as red. Last one would be better in B&W too, and it's better for me atleast.
03-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

For sure go black and white on those two, also push our contrast right over the top, so it's all blacks and whites. A real old school high tone is called for here IMHO. I don't know if it's will work, but it's worth a try.

03-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is all about finding the right opportunity for each of those presentations as above. Appropriate context, I think, is the key here.
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not a great processor, but you guys are welcome to work on these and post them here if you like. I would be most interested in viewing what you might do.
Best Regards!

One more I like....

Again, my 1st day with the K5 and somehow I ended up at f14 and ISO 6400.....???
[IMG] [/IMG]
03-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #10

1. Learn how to use lights. Lighting's too harsh as someone pointed out - so learn to bounce or get some modifiers. Also you have your keying off/it looks like there's some other lights elsewhere.
2. Composition/directing. The last one you posted is really distracting with how it cuts at the elbows. The one with the farmer's hat & elbow needs the model to pose with her back straighter as her posture is bad. The three portrait shots aren't too bad w/r/t this.
3. Processing. Starting off at 6400 kinda kills you. In the first photo, though, you have the super saturated lips which are pretty bad. In other photos including the first, it's clear her roots aren't colored. You might want to dodge/burn or bring in levels on the left for a darker look with what you have.
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm not going to argue with you, they are less than stellar shots.....for one thing my wireless flash was not working so I had to shoot with only the 540 and a diffuser....but getting the settings all screwed up was certainly my fault....the newness of the K5 and my lovely model distracted me!

I'll do better next time, no doubt......anyhow, I always say that...helps to build confidence!
Poses are the credit of my model, for an untrained "walk off the street" girl, she is superb!
Lots to learn...always lots to learn! Thanks for your thoughts, they all help!
Best Regards!

I did think this one turned out decent?

03-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hrm, Rupert. I like the second shot there, but the first one looks like it might be fun to play with in heavy-handed ways.

I could see going from the top left corner to the bottom right in a loose curve, (so you only see one eye,) then making like an 80's Nagel print look out of it by filling in the rest with black and graphic-design bits. (Remember those? From like every hair salon in the world? ) Put a pink stripe and a mint-green dot in..

Or you could try the burn tool on that hair, see what you get. You could get a high-key look out of it if you take the washed-out off of that.

Being still-working on my PP skills, I"m sometimes tempted to play.
03-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm, Rupert. I like the second shot there, but the first one looks like it might be fun to play with in heavy-handed ways.

I could see going from the top left corner to the bottom right in a loose curve, (so you only see one eye,) then making like an 80's Nagel print look out of it by filling in the rest with black and graphic-design bits. (Remember those? From like every hair salon in the world? ) Put a pink stripe and a mint-green dot in..

Or you could try the burn tool on that hair, see what you get. You could get a high-key look out of it if you take the washed-out off of that.

Being still-working on my PP skills, I"m sometimes tempted to play.
Ratlady, you are free to help yourself to these to play with. Just post your results here for us to enjoy!
Best Regards
03-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Ratlady, you are free to help yourself to these to play with. Just post your results here for us to enjoy!
Best Regards
Heehee. Well, I just might, as long as I remember to. I've been trying to catch up on some housework today, with varying degrees of enthusiasm, but I'm finally having somewhat more fun with this whole computer thing. (An acceptable monitor and a faster computer in the house certainly make actually dealing electronically with photos more fun, but now I have to actually be dealing with facing my crustiness rather than mostly-hardware frustrations. I'm not so sure about my Paint Shop Pro software, interfacewise, but it *seems* to have the capabilities in there to do a lot. )

Anyway, it's not the kind of error I usually get, myself, though it's a familiar sort of issue from analog darkroom days, and I'd therefore maybe benefit from the exercise, so we'll see. Does look like the makings of some 80's retro there.

That's 6400 from a K-5, though, eh? Doesn't look so bad at all from here. (I'm on my old machine again, today.) Have you already done anything to it?
03-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Heh, Gimping thusly

1) Colors / Desaturate (average)
2) Filters / Edge-Detect / Edge (differential, 1.0, smear)
3) Colors / Invert

resulted in this:

Last edited by jolepp; 03-03-2017 at 02:40 AM.