Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunset with my New Lens
Lens: Pentax DA 21mm AL Ltd Camera: K-x Photo Location: Madawaska River, Whitney, Ontario 

A couple of shots with the Sigma 70 - 300 that I really like

ISO 400 70mm 0 ev f/5.6 1/800

ISO 400 70mm 0 ev f/5.5 1/160

I went out last night with my new lens as well as the Sigma 70 - 300 and my Tamron 90. After comparing images I found the DA 21 to be very rich in colours with great depth and texture. The Tamron took sharp detailed photos. I was mostly disappointed with the Sigma, except at 70m I did get good images.

If anyone is at all interested I can show some comparison shots (maybe that is in another category). But, the purpose of this post is to show three photos taken with my new lens, the DA 21mm for comment suggestions and critique. These are just landscapes. A moose feeding or busy beaver would have added some interest, but, this is what was presented to me at the time. It is all a learning curve.

Pentax DA 21mm ISO 100 1 / 50 ev 0 F8

Pentax DA 21mm ISO 100 1 / 200 ev 0 F8

Pentax DA 21 mm ISO 100 1 / 60 ev 0 F8

thanks!

Last edited by tessfully; 04-02-2011 at 05:40 AM.
03-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. The sky sure looks cyan in #2, though. Do you notice barrel distortion close up?
03-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks SpecialK. I tried to fix the sky but not sure I succeeded.

I don't think there is any barrel distortion on close up shots if that is what you mean. Here is my dog:

03-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
Inactive Account

So you've discovered the difference between consumer type zooms and well made prime lenses?

I like the first shot in your original set the best (the one with the moon). The last one looks over exposed or over processed. I say that with the understanding that it is a somewhat difficult shot.

Who could not like the photo of the dog? Beautiful pooch and great shot of him/her.

03-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

I actually prefer the 4th landscape; I agree, the colors are a bit much (though I've seen similar in nature near sunrise/sunset) but what I really like is the angle of the waterway, instead of the straight-across boundary in the other three. But then, what do I know? :-)
03-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff and hray... it is interesting that the last shot appears over processed. I took the photo at sunset with my new lens, the 21mm ltd which seems to take extremely warm and textured photos up front. As far the post processing, I used the "auto-enhance" setting, bumped the shadows a bit as it was actually too dark, and the hit contrast once. A very ordinary routine for me, yet the photos all turned warm rich colours compared to my other lenses.

thanks for looking and for the comments...

btw the last shot is one of my favourites as well
03-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like that last one. DA 21 looks to have some killer clarity.

03-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Thanks Jeff and hray... it is interesting that the last shot appears over processed. I took the photo at sunset with my new lens, the 21mm ltd which seems to take extremely warm and textured photos up front. As far the post processing, I used the "auto-enhance" setting, bumped the shadows a bit as it was actually too dark, and the hit contrast once. A very ordinary routine for me, yet the photos all turned warm rich colours compared to my other lenses.

thanks for looking and for the comments...

btw the last shot is one of my favourites as well
What I meant was, usually (I admit, I wasn't there) a sky like that is difficult to get properly exposed and still have anything in the photo. I'm speaking of the area where an apparently cloudless sky, turns white.

03-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
What I meant was, usually (I admit, I wasn't there) a sky like that is difficult to get properly exposed and still have anything in the photo. I'm speaking of the area where an apparently cloudless sky, turns white.

Ahh, Jeff, now I know exactly what you mean. We lost so many photos because of that reason. We got polarizing filters for our cameras and that has made a huge difference. hmmm... With that photo I think the lens itself must be good with the sky at that time of day as it is not fitted with a filter, or maybe I got lucky. Thanks so much for the input.
04-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't think you should be so quick to dismiss the Sigma without more controlled testing. Since you mentioned you were happy with it at 70mm, there might be other factors (depth of field, vibration) limiting the sharpness at longer focal lengths. Generally, you might not get outstanding performance from a "consumer" lens at 300mm, but at shorter lengths and moderate apertures, it can be pretty hard to tell lenses apart. I think sample variations may play a bigger role than design in many cases.

Paul
04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Thanks SpecialK. I tried to fix the sky but not sure I succeeded.

I don't think there is any barrel distortion on close up shots if that is what you mean. Here is my dog:
Really nice photo of your dog!

Yeah, the colours of the skies vary a lot in your photos (as in mine!) - maybe yours are slightly over-exposed?!

The last one is my favourite, no doubt!
04-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments tibbitts... you make valid points and as a beginner I probably made technical errors. Also, the tripod ball head was too weak for the sigma lens and on the portraits I had to steady the camera with my hand. I have used it since with better results. I think I will add in above a couple of the sigma shots from the same day.

Tord, thanks too for the comments. The sky almost always turns out magnificent with the DA 21. Any problem with those above photos were with me and not the lens. Just the other day I was shooting with the Pentax DA 18 - 135 including a polarizing filter, and taking the exact same shots using the DA21 without a polarizing filter. The difference is the sky was HUGE. The 21 so rich and dark, the 18 - 135 also set at 21, washed out blue.

I have to learn the quirks of each of these lenses so I can use them effectively.

please check out the sigma shots I am adding in at the top
04-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
What happened to the colors here? Or am I drinking too much coffeei?

Maybe it is the polarizer, but such difference in colors comming from the lens would be huge...

I like very much the last one in your post Pentax DA 21 mm ISO 100 1 / 60 ev 0 F8
04-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The second DA shot I messed with the colours to try to make it less green. But ... overall, I took about 20 shots that afternoon as the sun set. Some were sidelit by the setting sun (the one you like) the teal ones had the sun right behind me, and the upriver shots were the first to go to shadow.

So.....I assumed it was the direction I was shooting in that changed the sky.

Does that make sense?
04-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
juu
Veteran Member

All are nice, but shot #3 is the nicest to me. Nice reflections and the moon makes the picture.