Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

TOO MUCH NOISE is it fixable?
Lens: 80-320mm at 320mm Camera: K10D Photo Location: Busch Stadium Centerfield ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 

Love the shot but it is simply not useable. Can it be fixed or suggestions not to miss it again. HAS WAY TOO MUCH NOISE. was shot at 320mm focal length and at 5.6 was an overcast day. I have tried minimal PP but it only makes it worse.

Andrew.

Attached Images

03-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now that I am examing it further I think its just a trash shot. A bit out of focus and quite soft. But still would appreciate input
03-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the timing is right the focus was off. moving to 1600 and closing down the aperture to f8 may have salvaged the in focus areas, it also looks like there may be some motion from the lens
unfortunately this is one of those times a big fast prime is really the answer. even if it meant using an older MF one for price considerations as you can predictive focus and use CIF

I've shot with my K10 at 1600 and the noise is a bugger but it can be cleaned up reasonably by Topaz denoise or noise ninja. I tried out both, haven't bought ether because i moved to the K7 and now find less need for higher end noise reduction as LR3 seems to fill the bill right now
03-29-2011, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChallengedOne Quote
I have tried minimal PP but it only makes it worse.
Don't know why but, after messing around for a little while, I think it's a lot better...

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-08-2011 at 11:01 AM.
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Don't know why but, after messing around for a little while, I think it's a lot better...
agreed it did help quite a bit. wish you knew what you did lol.
03-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

agreed it did help quite a bit. wish you knew what you did lol.
Oh, I know what I have done! I don't know why you have tried minimal PP but it only make it worse.
03-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Oh, I know what I have done! I don't know why you have tried minimal PP but it only make it worse.
not that great at PP when I do I use gimp. If I don't have it right in camera it usually does not make it to my PC. This one did because I was hoping to salvage it. It was a spur of the moment point and shoot moment. I have been researching PP just need to work on new tools, using gimp.

03-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

tell him manel, your secrets are safe with us
03-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job on the PP, Manel
03-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If I don't have it right in camera it usually does not make it to my PC.
Sometimes photos donīt look that good at first, but can turn out quite acceptable after some tweaking (if you shoot raw this will be particularly evident).
The thing is: getting it right on camera it's just the first step, post-processing is the next, towards the final copy (You may be aware of this dead horse topic)...

BTW, I don't know how you shoot sports but spray&pray technique is the way to go, right?

I have been researching PP just need to work on new tools, using gimp.
That's good; buying a graphics tablet with a bundle pselements copy comes quite cheap; learning the stuff by following some good tutorials on the web that's all it takes.
Not familiar with gimp but would say it lacks some important features. Nevertheless, judging for what people say, a good app to start.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 03-30-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
tell him manel, your secrets are safe with us
Sure thing Eddie.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Nice job on the PP, Manel
Thank you Nass.
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, what topics would you first research to fix above photo like you did? I have a few others that are similar that could probably benefit from the same technique.
03-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not sure what method Manel used or why it is a secret, but I've found that Topaz Denoise is excellent for cleaning up noise and colour shifts, then I use Aperture to apply some selective sharpening (via a local brush) as well as overall edge sharpening for the image. I've had far worse photos that that shown here rescued using this method.

Search for posts by JohnBee from late last year, he is the master of noise clean up. He uses a combination of Lightroom noise reduction (for croma noise reduction I think), then Topaz Denoise (for luminance noise reduction with his own customised presets) then some more secret sauce?? The results he gets are incrediable.
03-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

what topics would you first research to fix above photo like you did?
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I've had far worse photos that that shown here rescued using this method.
There you go...

Of course, DeNoise costs money; if you want to try some free tools:

Best Free Photo Noise Reduction Software

For tonal contrast and color adjustments you could buy something like Photoshop; it will do amazing stuff to your photos.

Good luck.
03-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Photoshop CS5 or elements?