Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does This Work?

Here's a draft work for a photo series I'm finishing up that combines archival images of people from my area with current images.

Would love some impressions / feedback / critique from first glance at this piece - as if you just saw it as a print on the wall:
(click on it for high-res version)

Just keep in mind the background is not meant to be technically perfect, I kind of like how high-key and blown out it is.

Have a look HERE for some background info on this series + to see the several other works that will be shown alongside this one,

Last edited by Dubesor; 03-31-2011 at 05:11 AM.
03-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, no it doesn't work for me. The overall concept is good, but my first impression if I saw this as a print would be that someone walked by and taped a smaller photo on top of your work. It doesn't blend at all, doesn't show any relationship between each photo, and overall just looks haphazard. Looking at the rest of the images in the series, I see a lot of the same, most notably #1 and #5. The best of the lot concept-wise would be #2, but is poorly executed in PS. Clean that up a bit, and you've got a winner. #3 isn't too bad from the PS side, but doesn't show me anything of the original landscape to be recognized for what it is. Overall the biggest failing is that there is no recognizable relationship between past and present, and all it does is make me miss any point you are trying to make. Sorry if this comes off as harsh, it's not meant to be mean, it's just how I see it.

I'm not saying you should mimic this, but the impression that I get is that you are trying to do something like what's shown here.

http://thechive.com/2010/12/14/ghosts-of-world-war-ii-23-hq-photos/

Last edited by Jodokast96; 03-31-2011 at 06:51 AM.
03-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Honestly, no it doesn't work for me. The overall concept is good, but my first impression if I saw this as a print would be that someone walked by and taped a smaller photo on top of your work. It doesn't blend at all, doesn't show any relationship between each photo, and overall just looks haphazard. Looking at the rest of the images in the series, I see a lot of the same, most notably #1 and #5. The best of the lot concept-wise would be #2, but is poorly executed in PS. #3 isn't too bad from the PS side, but doesn't show me anything of the original landscape to be recognized for what it is. Overall the biggest failing is that there is no recognizable relationship between past and present, and all it does is make me miss any point you are trying to make. Sorry if this comes off as harsh, it's not meant to be mean, it's just how I see it.
These are all valid points.

I guess a lot of the visuals here are contextual to Vancouver and the 2010 Olympic Games. Vancouverites would recognize #5's advertising imagery and how it impacts the burial tree - or see the foreground of #3 as the original rainforest landscape that is now displaced by downtown buildings showing behind.

I guess it's my job to better describe each photo's significance for those that don't live here; also blend the works for an effect that's less 'haphazard', but still shows lots of jarring contrast between old & new.

PS re: the link you posted - It's along the same lines, but I'm going for less 'blending into each other' and a bit more 'jarring', for lack of a better word.

PPS I've had someone a bit more skilled than myself redo the blending of #1 and #2 in PS, but haven't posted those new versions online yet.

Last edited by Dubesor; 03-31-2011 at 07:01 AM.
03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking back now that you've explained it a bit, I see now about #3. Originally, the trees looked as if they were part of the modern day photo. Imagine something like Central Park in NYC and you can see how it is easily mistaken as not something from 100 years ago.