Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting some friends
Lens: 18-135 WR Camera: K20d 

Here are a few photos I have done over the weekend. I just picked up a new background and cheapo lighting kit and wanted to test it out. 2x 45w shoot thru umbrellas with continuous lighting, 1 strobe shot through umbrella.
The first couple are friends who are expecting. I said I would shoot for free if they let me use the pictures, the other ones are my wife (gray shirt) and her friend (white shirt)

Please let me know what you like and what you dont. I need to learn some how. This is literally the first time I have ever done a "studio" type setting. Most are events, or things of that nature. Never used lighting or "portrait" type of photography until this weekend.

04-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey I'll try.

1st Photo : Great expression on the child, great moment The top part isnt necessary, crop it to make it tight on the family. Lighting could be tweaked, the parents are underexposed a little, mother could use hairlights

2nd photo : Nice! is it sharp on the face? cant see at this size, looks sharp on the jeans...Again, a little underexposed.

3rd photo: not a bad photo, just the angle/positions/pose could be different, i think. This one doesnt do anything for me. Maybe the one where the husband kisses the bump is overdone...but for good reason, its effective to show the connection. I dont know, this area of photography isnt mine

4th photo: Both person are looking at different points...

5th photo: The selective colouring is not bad, but a miss, for me anyway. I didnt realize you did that until i pried my eyes away from her right shoulder (the brightest spot in the photo). Our eyes are generally drawn left to right, and to light spots. Whether realizing it or not....then after that, i saw the flower. So maybe ...move the flower to the left....and shine the flower instead with lights...?

Overall, i think you did a great job; I am just nitpicking . These are sharp, has great poses or expression and great moments cheers
04-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes i dont even notice little issues until someone else points them out. Its good to have other people with a good "eye" to notice little issues. When putting pictures like this on facebook, everyone tends to go. "oh wow, what great pictures" but they really dont know what they are looking at alot of times.