Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2007, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the Photo Critique Section

After much discussion and anticipation, the photo critique forum has arrived as the latest addtion to the PentaxForums.com message board! This section is nothing more than a sub-category of the 'Post Your Photos' forum, and is intended only for use by those who wish to receive serious critique on their photographs.

Comments in this section should be along the lines of, "Changing x and y would make this photo much better, and z doesn't help much either" rather than "what a beautiful flower, thanks for sharing"

While harsh commenting is allowed in this section, we ask that all users act in the usual respectful manner when commenting on others' photos. Barely any photos are perfect, so please use this section to discover the weaknesses of your photographs and to improve them in the future! Enjoy!

Follow these additional requirement when posting a thread here:
  • You must either attach or link to your photo directly using [img] tags so that it appears within the post itself. No linking to online photo albums is allowed, since those who are commenting will not know exactly which photo(s) to critique.
  • No embedded image may be wider than 850 pixels, or taller than 900 pixels. You may link to full-size images, however, in addition to the embedded smaller version.
  • Use titles that reflect the contents of the thread and the subject of your photo.
  • Do no post more than 5 photos per thread. We recommend only posting one at a time.
  • Fill out as many EXIF information fields as possible when posting
Please post any questions that you may have about this section as a reply; I will keep this thread open for about a month.

You might also be interested in reading this thread prior to critiquing: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/65528-how-do-you-look-see.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2007, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So if I'm correct, the difference is:

If I post here, it means: please help me improve on the basis of this shot
If I post on the other post-your-photos-forum, it means: take a look at this one!

That makes the post-your-photos forum more of a gallery, and this to a school. I like it!
10-29-2007, 03:25 AM   #3

Thanks Mo, it's a good idea.

I think we should add exif data, camera, lens and other gear used...

Last edited by Adnan EROL; 10-29-2007 at 05:11 AM.
10-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was reading a recent post in the critique section where a number of responses included modified versions of the original photo..crops, colour adjustments, and so on.

Personally, I would not want any of these corrections done to a photograph that I post for critique. If I want an image in black and white (or cropped or sharpened or whatever), I will post it that way. If there is some suggested image manipulation I don't know how to perform, I wouldn't mind a link and some information on how to perform it, but IMHO that's as far as it should go.

I think (to start) there are a few rules that would help the critique form. One is that the original photo should stay posted and unmodified so that everyone is discussing the same image. Second is that only the original poster should be able to post modified versions of the original photo to the thread based on suggestions of other posters, or what have you.

Also, there are wonderful critique guidelines at Dyxum here that should would make a good sticky to read before posting to the critique forum, IMHO.

Thanks, I look forward to participating in the forum!

10-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

Some of the rules in that Dyxum link is interesting. Also there are other sites that have sections on how to critique and also information for self-critique.

As for modified versions either there can be a rule for one or the other. or you can write in your post that you do not want others to edit your photo, I am sure everyone will respect that.
10-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #6

Rules (like in that Dyxum link) about how to critique must be listed here too... and I think Mo opened this thread for us to discuss the contents of that list...
11-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

I think its a good idea for posters to write something about the picture in terms of what the subject is and what they wanted to express. Sometimes I give wrong critique because I assume some other effect was desired or assumed some other subject.

11-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, I don't really expect an answer to any of my questions-they're more for your own reflection concerning this implementation/addition. Here goes:

I came here from one of the most popular and divisive critique site on the web. I go back occasionally just to ... This reflection is based on years of experience with similar critique systems.

What's the reward to being honest? There it was spiteful revenge, personal attack and forum flaming.

Who defines harsh? There, with as many as ten moderators the shear volume of 'review' necessary created ten very tired and persnickety moderators-short tempered and depressed. In the end, a period from about 2 years ago until present day, the site has been PC heaven and little if any real criticism is offered.

How many suggestions are you really open to hearing or implementing? Now that you've opened the door--a Pandora's box--how do you stop it? There the site owner/builder/author/photographer opened the suggestion box about 7 years ago for one very simple set of problems--all related to site appearance. It's been a free-for-all every since. On every subject weather a real problem exists or not. There is a constant effort to redefine the vision, the terms of service and participation and, well everything!

Two of my earliest forum posts were essentially these subjects: "read the manual" and "be honest with photo critiques". The first is too much trouble for virtually every new user that enters this forum, the second has almost never been followed or for that matter allowed as a growing group of mamby-pamby self appointed literary censors seek to dumb down every message containing a notion of passion or expression as being harsh or mean spirited and not helpful no matter how much information the message contains. (I expect the same here)

You got a good thing here (for the most part). Don't try to be something that mimics every other photo-forum! Save some time and headache: close this forum thread and keep the pruning shears handy to cut off the whole critique subsection as soon as it strays from task--probably about the 3rd photo or so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
After much discussion and anticipation, the photo critique forum has arrived as the latest addtion to the PentaxForums.com message board! This section is nothing more than a sub-category of the 'Post Your Photos' forum, and is intended only for use by those who wish to receive serious critique on their photographs.

Comments in this section should be along the lines of, "Changing x and y would make this photo much better, and z doesn't help much either" rather than "what a beautiful flower, thanks for sharing"

While harsh commenting is allowed in this section, we ask that all users act in the usual respectful manner when commenting on others' photos. Barely any photos are perfect, so please use this section to discover the weaknesses of your photographs and to improve them in the future! Enjoy!

Please post any questions that you may have about this section as a reply; I will keep this thread open for about a month.
11-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
and
Veteran Member

Wow you certainly have some strong objections against the critique section John.
I think the critique section is a good thing, especially since users have a choice to post their photo in there or in the post your photos section. i find that its easier to annoy people by posting critique in the post your photos section than in here because some people post photos and just want positive comments.

defining harsh, is it that hard? if something is just over the limit then its still ok. as long as its not "you have no talent" "you are a terrible photographer" "this shot just sucks"
its fine to say "the photo is not sharp at all!" "the colors look terrible" etc. as long as thats not all you say.

since we have two photos for posting. if someone posts a photo here and someone else basically says its not a good photo and the poster gets angry about that then its basically the posters fault. if they posted it in critique but did not want any.

you must have had a bad experience over there if you just want to close the critique section
11-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
First, I don't really expect an answer to any of my questions-they're more for your own reflection concerning this implementation/addition. Here goes:

I came here from one of the most popular and divisive critique site on the web. I go back occasionally just to ... This reflection is based on years of experience with similar critique systems.

What's the reward to being honest? There it was spiteful revenge, personal attack and forum flaming.

Who defines harsh? There, with as many as ten moderators the shear volume of 'review' necessary created ten very tired and persnickety moderators-short tempered and depressed. In the end, a period from about 2 years ago until present day, the site has been PC heaven and little if any real criticism is offered.

How many suggestions are you really open to hearing or implementing? Now that you've opened the door--a Pandora's box--how do you stop it? There the site owner/builder/author/photographer opened the suggestion box about 7 years ago for one very simple set of problems--all related to site appearance. It's been a free-for-all every since. On every subject weather a real problem exists or not. There is a constant effort to redefine the vision, the terms of service and participation and, well everything!

Two of my earliest forum posts were essentially these subjects: "read the manual" and "be honest with photo critiques". The first is too much trouble for virtually every new user that enters this forum, the second has almost never been followed or for that matter allowed as a growing group of mamby-pamby self appointed literary censors seek to dumb down every message containing a notion of passion or expression as being harsh or mean spirited and not helpful no matter how much information the message contains. (I expect the same here)

You got a good thing here (for the most part). Don't try to be something that mimics every other photo-forum! Save some time and headache: close this forum thread and keep the pruning shears handy to cut off the whole critique subsection as soon as it strays from task--probably about the 3rd photo or so.
Hi John,

Almost every photo class involves photo critique, so I, most of the community, think that it's key to have such a section on the site as well.

On a separate note, I've posted a few more technical guidelines in the post above.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

I actually liked the rule on the other site about max 1 image per thread, unless you have 2 or more versions of an image that you want to have compared.
11-02-2007, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

thanks for the new thread

Thanks for the new thread!!

Even though I feel I really don't have much to assist others with thier photos... I have learned alot in just reading the more detailed feedback of this section...
11-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I heartily recommend only one image per critique request. (Or two if you are looking for which version is better.)

We should be considerate with the reviewers' time, and posting 2, 3, 4 or more shots in a single thread is asking too much.

To echo John's comments, asking for a generic 'critique please' is going to be very difficult to do tactfully in all but the most extraordinary cases, and I'm afraid most people won't be able to take the consequences. Sorry.
11-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
and
Veteran Member

I agree with the one image per thread concept too. Posting 5-7 different photos can cover different subjects too, can be one portrait, one landscape, some indoors, some outdoors. it dilludes the focus of the thread. Posting 5-7 threads with one image in each is better imo.

Sometimes I think the ultimate critique would be anonymous, at least the shooter, maybe even the commenters. Its a common thing in forums to judge photos based on who took them, small ecosystems exchanging positive comments develop well thats just an observation, not a suggestion Im happy we have this section now. I encourage people to try to give critique, actually explaining what you dont like or why you like something is good excercise that you can learn from yourself.
01-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
In order to help other members to critique others' photos, fields for shutter speed, aperture, and other EXIF information are now provided during the creation of any thread in the Critique forum!

Adam

Closed Thread