Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #1

Unsung heros...

I'm glad to see a critique section on here now... I think we can all get a lot more out of this than speculating about the a new FF camera Please be brutal if need be...
This is a monument built for the slaves that helped construct UNC Chapel Hill

Pentax67 165mm f/(4?) TX400

10-29-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not focused well. They guy in the middle ought to have been the center of attention and in focus.
10-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #3

I agree with Ole. Focusing on a different point, either the man in the center, or the U in the word UNSUNG would bring attention to a more interesting part of the frame. Stopping down a few stops might have made a big difference, since there would be more in focus, that way, as well.

I do think it is an interesting subject and composition, otherwise.
10-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Duely noted.... when you point that out it seems obvious to me that it should of been focused a bit differently... thanks a lot.

10-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree, I would prefer focusing on the writing on the top. the idea of the framing is good, it captures the idea of the monument, showing the people who were carrying the weight. and you have the light hitting the top so you can get it all shiny and then you have the shadow side underneath with all the slaves. if the monument is circular then also look and see if you can capture one word or phrase that has some meaning regarding this and highligt that by bringing it into focus and having the light hit it.
10-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have a question: Why do I get the feeling that this monument is 2mm tall? I mean, why do I get the feeling that this is a macro picture?
10-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
well it's not exactly macro... but you've got right idea... and part of what I'm trying to convey. It was meant to be a tribute yet these poor guys are in constant peril of going unnoticed and having dirt kicked on them. It's actually a bench that people sit on.....not exactly my idea of a grand tribute.