Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lonely tree

I'd like to see what you guys think of this photo, please. I'd thought I had switched to my FA 50/1.4 but the exif says I still had the Viv 28 on so it's labeled as such.

10-30-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I like this. I am finding myself looking more at the clouds as opposed to the tree.
10-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Yes, everything that is more lit draws the attention. intereting clouds. To draw more attention to the tree it would need to be brighter than the sky, but thats not easy to achieve with a landscape.

But I think this is a very nice shot, its great. Down to the tree not being in the center. Good dof, sharpness, nice colors of the sky and the hills in the background.

Also of interest is the root of the tree which is stretching into the right side of the picture.

In short, its great. I dont have anything to suggest
10-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

I really can't think of anything meaningful to suggest - I think it's an _excellent_ landscape by all measures.

!c

10-31-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the comments:-).
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM   #6

I really like it... I think what would really improve it is some better cloud/sky contrast. Either by using a polarizeing filter, or I think this landscape would look really nice taken in B&W with a red filter (sorry I still think i terms of film cameras instead of photoshop)
11-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

my only suggestion would be to maybe take the shot from a different side of the tree. I'm not sure how close those rocks behind it are...but I think it would look great without them there...the tree would really be lonely without those rocks!

11-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bnack, I just received a lens I bought from Ebay today and it came with a polarizing filter. It fits a 49mm lens and the Vivitar 28/2.8 is 49mm. Now I'm equipped but I wasn't at the time of the exposure:-(. I was fishing that day and I took this while I was eating lunch. The problem with fishing and photography is during that evening light the fishing is usually pretty good:-). The fishing in the heat of the day can be slow but the light isn't great. We probably hiked 4 or 5 miles that day up and down the stream with backpacks. While I was fishing I kept the camera in a waterproof thingy in the pack. I have fallen before in rivers and I have to much money infested in the camera to risk it. So it's a big deal getting the camera out to take pictures. All this to say that when the fish are biting in the evening and the day is falling to night it's hard to get to the camera. I was rewarded that evening with a couple of very nice fish, a big Rainbow and a big Brown.
Jshurak, behind me was another bluff, so to get the spread of the tree I was limited in both directions:-(. But your suggestion is valid, I could have crossed the stream, climbed the bluff behind me and shot down on the tree possibly eliminating the bluff we see. But then we'd have no sky. I'll have to check that out the next time I'm there.
Thanks again guys.
11-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
All this to say that when the fish are biting in the evening and the day is falling to night it's hard to get to the camera. I was rewarded that evening with a couple of very nice fish, a big Rainbow and a big Brown.
Eagle, I know that feeling - I shoot from my kayak a lot, and have had to resolve to just leave the fishing rod in the truck if I want to take any pictures (although, I'm usually out at sunrise not sunset =) - I found it was nearly impossible to balance between the two - usually ended up with no good pictures and no fish trying to do so.

So, now, I go out shooting first in the morning, take care of some things @ the marina, and then go fishing with friends in the evening. Still don't catch many fish or good photos - but now I have no excuses =)

!c
11-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would crop out the whole left side of the photo with a portion of trees remaining in the shot.

The cloud is beautiful. A bit of levelling and adjustment curve for that part of sky would make the whole photo more dramatic.

Since the colour of the photo appears to be yellow/oragne based. I would desaturate the whole image and add a photo filter sepia to it. Increasing the contrast would make the shot a possible winner.

p.s. the clouds appear so 3D that I would explore the possibility in that part of sky
11-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the shot . However, I too feel the rock behind the tree is not helping at all. A different angle may have helped.
Then again its easy for me to say that , after all, you can't just go and rearrange the landscape can you?.
11-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
JMR
Veteran Member

I like the photo and the soft diffuse, almost shadowless light. It brings out the soft browns and yellows. I do not agree about using the polarizer in this instance. Polarizers are often overused and the results are often extreme blue skies and other colours and all spectral light is removed. Not realistic. Take the clouds for instance- very nice. If they were polarized, they would no longer coincide with the soft overall tone of the photo. Good job.

JMR
11-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I liked the photo and I agree most of the comments others have already made. I also suggest you try to show a little more shadow detail on the tree. It occupies a large area of the photo and consequently it needs to show more detail, I think... The clouds are beautiful, by the way.
12-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some fill in light on the tree (maybe fix in postprocessing) and the picture and comments have current value to novices.