Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Candid street photos: Am I on the right track?
Lens: DA 18-55WR Camera: K10D Photo Location: Kent, UK 

My technique is evolving, but I am tending to use TAv mode on the K10D, f8 and whatever shutter speed over 125 is median for the conditions. I am finding a lot of material at carboot sales etc... Check out flickr set for more of same.

Kent and Canterbury Streets - a set on Flickr

I hope this falls within the rules of photo critique. I am looking for critique of above photos as well as more general comments on the set.

04-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
My technique is evolving, but I am tending to use TAv mode on the K10D, f8 and whatever shutter speed over 125 is median for the conditions. I am finding a lot of material at carboot sales etc... Check out flickr set for more of same.

Kent and Canterbury Streets - a set on Flickr

I hope this falls within the rules of photo critique. I am looking for critique of above photos as well as more general comments on the set.
I enjoyed your photographs. The "library hangout" image is very well converted, and I like the composition and detail in the shadows. The other three are a little high in contrast, with the top one losing all detail in both the highlights and the shadows, but for all of that, they're fun to look at.

'tattoo' is my favorite, but I'd like to see more detail , and you might try moving him to the right, out of the center of the image, to give some tension to it. That way he's looking *into* the image, like this:

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
04-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I am still trying to perfect my conversion, I've gone through various different software - picasa, gimp, I'm not using Faststone. I think library hangout was done with gimp which does give the best results, however it takes ages to use, especially as you have to go into ufraw first. Faststone is a good compromise.

The other issue is that the other 3 photos were taken on very bright days, and the highlights are gone in the originals to some extent. Library Hangout was taken on a grey rainy day...

This is cropped with just a touch of sharpening.

As you can see, very contrasty already. Would you say you prefer this look?
04-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am still trying to perfect my conversion, I've gone through various different software - picasa, gimp, I'm not using Faststone. I think library hangout was done with gimp which does give the best results, however it takes ages to use, especially as you have to go into ufraw first. Faststone is a good compromise.

The other issue is that the other 3 photos were taken on very bright days, and the highlights are gone in the originals to some extent. Library Hangout was taken on a grey rainy day...

This is cropped with just a touch of sharpening.

As you can see, very contrasty already. Would you say you prefer this look?
Absolutely - I think it's a much stronger composition. Great shot. Contrast control is really difficult in direct sun, indeed.

You using Gimp on windows?

04-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input.

Yes, I am using gimp on windows, however, I do also use ubuntu sometimes. Less so recently, since Windows 7 came along however.
04-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I am using gimp on windows, however, I do also use ubuntu sometimes. Less so recently, since Windows 7 came along however.
Thanks for sharing. Great images there. I usually don't like stuff in the middle of the image, but the cavewoman shot works really well that way.

I'm a Mac/Lightroom/Photoshop user, myself. I've been a *nix addict since my first taste of linux in 1995, but even when I switched to Mac (also unix) back in 2006, the linux offerings for this were pretty... weak. Glad to see Linux coming on.
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Nice shots! Watch out for those crooked horizons though. They get me everytime!

04-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Composing is my next thing to work on. I am shooting with the camera around my neck, and then pressing the shutter release with my thumb or forefinger. Makes composing hard!