Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

State Cup Soccer
Lens: DA L 50-200 Camera: K20d Photo Location: Seattle WA Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 

A couple of pics from the match this past weekend. It was a dreary, overcast day in Seattle (the norm). I got a couple of shots that I really liked, but they need some help to look more appealing.

Any advise for a rookie would be appreciated and accepted. Cropping, PP, Framing, Settings, anything.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sharp images. Check.
Captures the moment. Check.
Framing in #1. Pretty good (#2 would have also been better as a vertical).
These appear as images that came straight out of the camera - rarely do they come optimised, so PP is warranted.
Look at the histogram and boost exposure, contrast and colours using tools like levels and curves to get the best effects in just a couple of steps.
04-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Second everything that Ash said. The photos lack some "pop" to them, and I think you can fix that relatively easily by photoshopping.

I spent 30 seconds with it in photoshop now where I increased brightness overall, and selected the two girls to boost contrast, sharpen and brighten a bit more. Nothing advanced, give it a try
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Exposure needs brightening and you could warm up the white balance to offset the overcast day.

04-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
Huge thanks for the advise

Thank you all for the advise. These did both come out of the camera with no PP. I have a lot to learn and look forward to using this forum as a place to help.

Cheers,
Scotty Dog
04-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second shot has a lovely "dance" feel to it - a Highland Fling in the middle and the Funky Chicken on the right. You could maximise this fun aspect by cropping out the waste on the left of No. 52's hand and maybe just above the car or even along the fenceline. Agree about adjusting exposure.
05-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Clarification of CC post.

QuoteOriginally posted by lilian Quote
i would like the whole photo to change color, not just the girls... Now it seems photoshoped, and i don't like it... In general i dont like the photo, i preferred to be more close to the athletes as professional photographers do...
Lilian, Help me understand. I couldn't get much closer to the action as I was already on the sideline of the pitch. I certainly don't have a professional level zoom lens. Would you like to see cropping to isolate just the girls involved in the action? That would be easy to do in PP. Also, the day was very dark and overcast with terrible light, so the exposure is a problem.

Thanks,
Scottydog