Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Statue of Liberty
Lens: Pentax DA-L 55-300MM Camera: Pentax K-X Photo Location: New York ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F4.5 

Statue of Liberty, any suggestions?

Last edited by mykxshot; 05-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Nice capture. Is it a crop? I'm asking because it seems a bit unsharp. You could also have stopped the lens down for better sharpness, as you had a very short exposure time.

I also get a feeling the image is a bit off on the angle, if you are familiar with the leveling tool in photoshop or the likes I would try to rotate the image a couple of degrees to the right.

I do like the boat in the lower right, but it seems it is a bit underexposed?

Hope you find these comments helpful
04-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Its not cropped. I was on a little ferry, may be you understand why its unsharp and I did not use a tripod. I take the shoot through a windows.
Thanks for your comment.
04-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely soft, due to both shooting through a window and shooting wide open (not the best for image quality and for infinity-distance subjects).

You would have done better going outside to shoot it, stopped the lens down to f/8 and used ISO 200 instead. Lighting also appears too strong, which gives too much contrast, causing an unflattering look to the scene, which is out of your control.

05-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as said above,
shooting from the ferry, with kit lens wide open through the glass didn't quite add up and the resulting shot is rather soft. Having said that, it's not terrible. I'd just clone out the plane and have a little go at sharpening it. Also compositionally with the statue right in the middle, attention drawing boat in the left right corner and huge open space on the left is not the strongest. Personally I'd crop it from the left quite a bit
05-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The bottom of Liberty island seems tilted, and contrast seems a bit high. Apart from that, it's well composed, I like the location of the boat.
05-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Three suggestions:
1. Lose the border
2. Lose the watermark
3. Get rid of the plane to the statue's right; it's too soon.

05-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
Three suggestions:
1. Lose the border
2. Lose the watermark
3. Get rid of the plane to the statue's right; it's too soon.
I agree with all those, and to me it looks like a snapshot taken with a P&S camera (that's the effect of shooting through a window I guess) with little thought on composition. sorry
05-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I agree with all those, and to me it looks like a snapshot taken with a P&S camera (that's the effect of shooting through a window I guess) with little thought on composition. sorry
My third point was a joke.