Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Mercedes Rendez-Vous [B/W]
Lens: da35mm-al Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Netherlands 

I tried somesort of a story shoot with a nice old mercedes I encountered while on holiday next to a cafe with an attractive neon sign. Another try at B/W conversion. How do you think I did this?

04-26-2011, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think 1 and 3 are outstanding - I love the tone and "feel" of both shots, with some mystery surrounding the solitary Merc. The second one I like less, because the bicycles clutter the scene a bit and distract from the car. I can tell you, I wish I were the one who had taken 1 and 3 - they're great to my eye.

Jer
04-26-2011, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Truly timeless....
04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for the kind comments. About the 2nd shot... I tried to clone out the bikes, but I didnt end up having the time and patience for it to do it right. Maybe will redo it later.

04-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the tonality you've achieved - restrained and sensitive. On my monitor at least they all look a bit underexposed. In the second shot I really like the juxtaposition of the expensive Merc and the old pushbike - it tells a story, which is missing from the first shot. Also in the first one I would have moved in closer to cut out the trees, which don't add anything to the composition.
Keep on! Some nice work.
04-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

The following is exceptionally subjective and not intended to come across as harsh criticism.

I wonder what results might have been achieved by shooting photo 3 from an even lower point, perhaps with the bottom of the image being higher than (and thus omitting) the tailpipe. I consider the brickwork and architecture more interesting than the car's undercarriage, and I think the building's height might provide interesting contrast.

In photo 1, I like the tonal difference between the building, car and brickwork. I'm less fond of the what might be considered distracting element of the distant scene at far left. For me, it makes the photo quietly busy. Perhaps that's a plus. But I find my eye bouncing around.

I'd enjoy seeing more of your work -- and mot merely because I'm a car guy. Thanks for posting these. Best wishes.