Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Alternate competition submission

This is the picture that almost went up in this month's people/portrait competition. It was a really really tough decision and I'm still somewhat up in the air. Honesly...I think it was one of toughest decisions I've had to make. But I think I picked the right one though. This was taken outside the Harajuku train station in Tokyo on a bright, sunny Sunday.

K10D
Sigma 70-300 4-5.6
300mm
f/5.6
1/250
ISO 100

Last edited by jshurak; 11-01-2007 at 07:17 AM.
11-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

She seems wild but internalised all the emotion inside her tense exterior.

The shot looks intense and I see why you like the shot.

I found the sun light harsh on the subject. The shadows from fringes obscure the eyes to a degree. The eyes are a bit dim and not "sharp" to stand out more - eyes are said to be the windows to the soul. A bit of dodging on the white parts of eye might do the image good.

The nose ridge and parts of lips are clipped, maybe a bit of high-light recovery rescue in photoshop would reduce the loss of colour there.
11-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its a street shooting portrait, and I will say its not my favorite genre, nevertheless. I think the lighting is good as far as sunlight goes and the exposure seems good too youve got a split light going on there. the expression is also interesting and the background has been blurred out, you are also not afraid to crop tight which I also think is a good thing. I agree with roentarre that the eyes are a bit, well not really lack of light but the hair is covering and shadowing and I do think eyes are important in portraits. Still a very nice shot though
11-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for your comments and suggestions. I'll give them a try!