Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Santorini Church
ISO: 50 

Just curious what everyone thinks of this shot - not just the composition but the overall look. I'll tell you why I'm asking specifically after I hear from a few of you. Thanks for your comments!

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by sealonsf; 05-09-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fixed typo
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd start be eliminating all the surrounding structures. Cool church though..
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've stood exactly there myself, Santorini is a truly an amazing place. But unlike you for me there were heaps of folk milling about the whole time for me. I ended up taking multiple shots and combining layers in PP to get the "no people" look.

I was also luckier with the weather, I know I know not much you could have done about that, apart from go back another time. But a bright sunny day gave me a bright white building and deep blue Med sky, which gave my shots a lot much more punch.

I also got a lot closer on the building itself, but hey, I like the dogs too.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-09-2011 at 01:43 PM.
05-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is very unusual shot of Santorini. Most photos of the place focus on its outward face. This shot seems to lack any conscious composition whatsoever. It doesn't work for me.

05-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, now that the composition has been battered, I was wondering if anyone would point out how flat the photo looks... I think it was over processed after it was taken. Any thoughts on that?
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a crop of the same photo.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
05-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's not bad if you like dogs :-) I'd fix the tilt to the right, though.

05-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're still around the area, you should reshoot the church. It's a lovely vista and worth recomposing the image from a few different perspectives to isolate the subject more effectively. The current image has too many distracting elements and the church is off-centre with its lines not symmetrically aligned.

The PP process also could do with significant tweaking to accentuate the look of the church.
05-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you're still around the area, you should reshoot the church. It's a lovely vista and worth recomposing the image from a few different perspectives to isolate the subject more effectively. The current image has too many distracting elements and the church is off-centre with its lines not symmetrically aligned.

The PP process also could do with significant tweaking to accentuate the look of the church.
I took other photos of just the church - I wanted to feature the dogs in this shot, and the town square in front. I'm just starting to do more PP with Photoshop Elements and I noticed that a lot of photos I see have a similar look to this - the shadows have been taken out which makes the scene rather flat looking. I'm not fond of it, but I see it so much that I think other people are fond of it. You're the only person who came close to saying what I expected - that the PP was not so great.

I agree the composition on this shot was more like a snapshot - and that's really what it was - I wanted to remember it the way I saw it that day. I won't be entering it in any photo competitions and I didn't send it in hoping it would get into PPG.
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The good: cool church & including foreground subjects in this scene has potential.

The bad: The subject you included doesn't seem connected with the environment, and yet it's not a juxtaposition either. Neither fish nor foul, no story being told. The framing isn't too well thought out either and the overall is composition not asthetically pleasing.

Your flickr stream shows though this isn't your best shot by a long way, you have some great pics in there.