Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Under The Mumbles Pier
Camera: K-x Photo Location: Mumbles, Swansea ISO: 50 

I took this photo a few weeks ago under a pier, and later converted it to black and white in software. I haven't made any other changes.

I'm new to 'serious' photography, rather than just point and shoot, so any advice you could give me about composition, framing etc. would be appreciated. Also, I'm quite thick skinned, so if you think the photo is rubbish, I won't be offended, as long as you tell me why

Thanks for any advice

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love it in the B/W
05-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It renders better in B&W because of the high contrast background, but more work can be done on it to improve its contrast and detail rendition.

The issue with this photo in general is that it has been lit by flat, uninteresting light, leaving texture detail to be very limited. The horizon is not straight (an important adjustment that should be made) and the subject matter could be captured more interestingly using more extreme perspectives, such as with a wider angle focal length, and a lower viewpoint, using lines to create tension and lead the viewer to a point of interest in the image.
05-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It renders better in B&W because of the high contrast background, but more work can be done on it to improve its contrast and detail rendition.
I second that!
Then again.. that's just our opinions

05-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys

I can't believe I didn't notice that the horizon wasn't straight!

I'll have to try some more photos there when the sun is a bit stronger. It's a tricky location though, as the viewpoint is below the high tide line, so I can only get down there at certain times of the day. I see a wetsuit in my future
05-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&W is very retro....
05-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I like it more in color. Brown on blue is a nice contrasty combination. As it was said already, level the horizon. There are lots of lines in the picture, maybe could crop the shore, so there are only straight lines.

05-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm undecided about this. Some of it works. Some doesn't, like the huge empty space in the upper left. Now, there isn't anything wrong with huge empty space, typically, but it is rather prominent in a photo that is so full of detailed textures otherwise.

From a technical perspective, you need to rethink the technique you employ in exporting your images. Your software seems to be capricious towards differing textures. Some of it is pin-sharp, while some elements are bordering on focus problems.
05-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

We live in Australia now.
BUT,I remember that pier from over 50 years ago, from when we lived in England & went to Wales for our holidays every year. From memory, I believe there used to be a tram running there.
Is the pier still used?
Cheers, Pickles.