Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 90
Oregon Pastoral
Lens: DA12-24 Camera: Kx Photo Location: Oregon ISO: 50 

Brand new used DA 12-24mm f4 arrived in the mail yesterday... Been itching to use it, and on the way home the sunset was perfect.

Photos, though... always need critiquing. Love to hear em. *ETA* Added a second shot from the same time, edited a bit brighter... which works better? I think it might be too bright, or too contrasty...

PS: Note about this lens... watch your hood. If it's off by even a little bit....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by sgtkashim; 05-13-2011 at 11:05 PM.
05-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 31
The white fence is very dominant, it literally blocks the view and the sun itself. It would be better if shot from another point, if possible from a higher one. Or try making a B/W conversion.

The second picture is too overdone for my taste, so the original version is maybe better (with little foreground cropping?).
05-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
axl
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
The 2nd is way too bright IMO. The first is spot on for sunset I think, but as user above, I find the white fence distracting. And I agree with the suggestion to rise the camera up and shoot slightly downwards. In that way the fence would lead the eye instead of captivating it. But all in all good effort
05-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,656
The fence doesn't bother me at all.
If you see a picture of a sunset, with a fence in the foreground it might be distracting.
I see a very well done picture of a fenced pasture at sunset. It all depends on what you perceive the subject to be.
The color contrast is wonderful, BTW.

05-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Myn.pheos Quote
The white fence is very dominant, it literally blocks the view and the sun itself. It would be better if shot from another point, if possible from a higher one. Or try making a B/W conversion.

The second picture is too overdone for my taste, so the original version is maybe better (with little foreground cropping?).
hm... I'll have to try that. I think that could work pretty well.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
The 2nd is way too bright IMO. The first is spot on for sunset I think, but as user above, I find the white fence distracting. And I agree with the suggestion to rise the camera up and shoot slightly downwards. In that way the fence would lead the eye instead of captivating it. But all in all good effort
Yeah... I went back and stared at them a bit, and decided the second was way overdone. Reprocessed it to be less... radioactive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The fence doesn't bother me at all.
If you see a picture of a sunset, with a fence in the foreground it might be distracting.
I see a very well done picture of a fenced pasture at sunset. It all depends on what you perceive the subject to be.
The color contrast is wonderful, BTW.
Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
Reply
« Fishing | Cats Eye »

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
critique, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Western Winter Pastoral... jkwhawk Post Your Photos! 3 12-12-2010 07:12 PM
Hello from Oregon JRF Welcomes and Introductions 6 10-24-2010 10:17 AM
Hello from Oregon Gr8tfulEd Welcomes and Introductions 8 04-22-2010 09:48 AM
Oregon jmbradd Post Your Photos! 4 06-15-2009 09:18 PM
Pastoral... heliphoto Post Your Photos! 4 02-25-2009 09:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top