Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Oregon Pastoral
Lens: DA12-24 Camera: Kx Photo Location: Oregon ISO: 50 

Brand new used DA 12-24mm f4 arrived in the mail yesterday... Been itching to use it, and on the way home the sunset was perfect.

Photos, though... always need critiquing. Love to hear em. *ETA* Added a second shot from the same time, edited a bit brighter... which works better? I think it might be too bright, or too contrasty...

PS: Note about this lens... watch your hood. If it's off by even a little bit....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by sgtkashim; 05-13-2011 at 11:05 PM.
05-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The white fence is very dominant, it literally blocks the view and the sun itself. It would be better if shot from another point, if possible from a higher one. Or try making a B/W conversion.

The second picture is too overdone for my taste, so the original version is maybe better (with little foreground cropping?).
05-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 2nd is way too bright IMO. The first is spot on for sunset I think, but as user above, I find the white fence distracting. And I agree with the suggestion to rise the camera up and shoot slightly downwards. In that way the fence would lead the eye instead of captivating it. But all in all good effort
05-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The fence doesn't bother me at all.
If you see a picture of a sunset, with a fence in the foreground it might be distracting.
I see a very well done picture of a fenced pasture at sunset. It all depends on what you perceive the subject to be.
The color contrast is wonderful, BTW.

05-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Myn.pheos Quote
The white fence is very dominant, it literally blocks the view and the sun itself. It would be better if shot from another point, if possible from a higher one. Or try making a B/W conversion.

The second picture is too overdone for my taste, so the original version is maybe better (with little foreground cropping?).
hm... I'll have to try that. I think that could work pretty well.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
The 2nd is way too bright IMO. The first is spot on for sunset I think, but as user above, I find the white fence distracting. And I agree with the suggestion to rise the camera up and shoot slightly downwards. In that way the fence would lead the eye instead of captivating it. But all in all good effort
Yeah... I went back and stared at them a bit, and decided the second was way overdone. Reprocessed it to be less... radioactive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The fence doesn't bother me at all.
If you see a picture of a sunset, with a fence in the foreground it might be distracting.
I see a very well done picture of a fenced pasture at sunset. It all depends on what you perceive the subject to be.
The color contrast is wonderful, BTW.
Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
« Fishing | Cats Eye »