Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #1

Newbie Waterfall
Lens: DA 18 - 135 WR Camera: K5 Photo Location: Adelaide ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F32 

Hi everyone,
I took my first shots of some waterfalls today and I'm looking for some advice or critique you can give me on making these sorts of photos better.
Thanks and heres the photo with no photoshop adjustments, just how I took it.
Cheers Darren

05-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you use any filters?
05-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Did you use any filters?
No mate.
05-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Oso
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For me, water is a flowing thing, and I like to see that, in the image, the water has somewhere to go, so that my eye becomes involved with the flowing of the water. So I like the compositions where the framing and composition enhance this line of flow.

In the first image, my impression is that the flow is towards the right, but the crop is heavy to the left and leaves me feeling rather unfulfilled. (the water flows from left to right, makes a bank to the left, but the water streaks still seem to flow to the right, drawing my eye that way, only to end abruptly at the edge of the image.)

The second image is slightly better I feel in the side to side crop, but again, I feel in that image, more at the bottom and less at the top would help, again, because that is how I feel the water wants to move in that image; towards me. Giving the water a place to go so the flow is not constrained.

What is of interest in the image, the water, the rocks, or the hillside above? For me, the water is the main interest, and just enough to know where it comes from and more about where it is going is what I like.

The water itself, though, looks great. The shutter value was more than adequate to convey the beauty of the flow of the water.

05-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thankyou OSO that will help me with my future compositions.
Cheers Darren
05-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Good first attempt.
How did you stabilise the camera?
Use a tripod and one of the mirror up options, to sharpen the photo.
By what shadows I can see, you took this shot in broad daylight.
Try going back a little before sundown, it's a golden time for these shots, as the softer light can really add something. Plus allow you to play with the aperture settings and still get the 1 to 2 second shutter value.
Keep trying, I like these kind of shots too...........
05-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi shooz,
I used a tripod and the photo was taken about 8am. I haven't tried the mirror up settings yet but that gives me something to try thats different. I fish this spot and along this river quite often in the summer so a late afternoon shot will get taken for sure. Thanks for your help.
Cheers Darren

05-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
Oso
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have found that often the less light , or more diffused light, the better the waterfall image. As mentioned, less light will allow higher aperture settings and longer shutter speeds. I find that the longer shutter speeds, along with getting the water "flowing" prettier, allows whatever light is available, especially the light that pinpricks the floor of the forest, to become visible in ways not obvious to the naked eye. I feel these "pinpricks" of light can be a real treat in your images. this is where filters, like neutral density filters come in handy, as they will allow less overall light into the sensor, allowing longer shutter speeds, lower ISO's and larger apertures, and potentially fewer blown highlights in the flowing water itself. Real long shutter speeds can create some startling images, both in the moving water and the still, flowing water, and the ambient lighting in the background.

Don't be afraid to get wet. Bring along your good waterproof boots so you can get right in the water. Get the tripod in the water, so the lines of flow can also change perspective from right in the path of the flow.

Of course, I'm sitting in bed right now with a serious case of poison ivy from rolling in the bushes along some rivers here in Vermont, getting some waterfall shots. Gives me some time for some PP!

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next time.
05-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to more shots of this area then, fishnuts.
Mirror up disables shake reduction, a good thing when mounted on a tripod.....
05-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks mate I will try all that. Thankfully we don't have poison ivy down here but we do have very big and poisonous King Brown snakes which can make things very interesting at times.
Cheers Darren
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Better to use an ND filter than an aperture such as f32 as the image looks quite soft to me, especially the first. That's what f32 will do, or a cheap tripod