What is this pic missing ?
Lens: da 16-50 Camera: pentax k-r ISO: 50 

i am as amateur as one can be

Attached Images

05-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amateur here as well but I like the shot. Maybe do a horizon adjust as it seems a bit slanted.
Personally I would see what it looks like in black and white or perhaps try different white balance as the cream walls aren't my favorite color.
05-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what it is missing.

But, it needs to be leveled, and I'd crop off some of the bottom so the diagonal line comes out of the bottom right corner.
05-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There seems to be too much negative space in the image that doesn't complement the subject, which is central and a little obscure. There isn't much to look at in this image, other than the arch formations from the sunlight bursting through.

05-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I agree with the crop and straighten suggestions.
It would help bring the clearest person to around the third mark on the right and also help with the negative space comment Ash made.
It's unfortunate that the person on the left is buried in shadow.
I like that you tried for a silhouette, shows you're using your eyes.
05-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
i don't really like my shot ,but i think it's something about it's mood ...i was actually trying to get their shadows in one of the arches on the wall but lost the moment ,they were just two people passing by
05-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #7
Oso
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find more interest in the shadows on the right wall, then the brick arches on the left. Perhaps a crop that favored the shadows rather than the bricks would help? It is an interesting image, but does need something to hold the eye's interest a bit more. You may be correct that the timing of the exposure may be off a little bit, as you indicate, it may have been more interesting if the people had been illuminated within one of the arches.

05-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think there's lots of potential here!
Have you tried cropping and playing with difference perspectives?
05-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here is some straight advice for you:

It's not that this photo is missing anything, it's that you shouldn't have taken it in the first place (or deleted it soon after exposure). There is absolutely no aesthetic value in this. The image is boring, poorly composed, and badly timed.

Boring: it's flat, the colours are monotonous, and it's underexposed by about a stop (sunlight on a bright wall like that should be brighter).

Poor composition: you have a little bit of everything, and it all doesn't work, as the location is butt-ugly. What's with the rails between the arches? Either show them or don't, but make up your mind. No point of showing that pink crap peaking out. If, however, you decide to go back to this ugly location to try for a redo, figure out what you want to focus on, the light on the wall or the arches, and find an interesting angle.

Poor timing: what were you thinking when taking this image and seeing that the two figures are clearly in the shadows? They're not even silhouetted properly. Either do a good silhouette (impossible here), or shoot when they're in sunlight.

Location location location. Oh, and cropping and fixing the key-stoning won't work. This image does not work at all.

Last edited by mischivo; 05-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.
05-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

I think you can get something out of this shot, with some boosted exposure and more detail on the left side. Cropped a little, or zoomed/walked closer would also helped.
05-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To me, its that there is too little detail in the central point of the picture. Too bad the wall that is in front of them isn't illuminated better. I think that would make them stand out more, and give the picture more depth.
05-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

it's missing simplicity and most importantly separation between the subjects and the background.... I hope you don't mind me posting my own example sillhouette picture but I think this demonstrates what I mean... your pic is too clutttered and we can't make out your subjects.. however that location with the shadows and nice arches has a lot of potential

Last edited by twitch; 05-17-2011 at 10:00 PM.
05-21-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Please pay no attention to rude and unhelpful posts.

It is obvious to me that you found a setting with mood, dramatic elements and great potential. Being a good photographer starts with recognizing such opportunities.
This was a difficult photo to capture well in the moment and I think the other posts covered the main elements for improvements. I tried to capture an image exactly like this on vacation in St Croix last year. I sat in a spot for 15 minutes and never got exactly what I was looking for.

My suggestion for this, and all photos for that matter, is to decide up front what you are taking a photo of. Then frame everything from there. Even in a very busy scene it's important as a photographer to maintain a clear idea of what you are trying to capture.
05-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
Oso
Site Supporter

Starting any new endeavor can be hard, but the adventure of getting to where you want to go is the real fun. Starting out in photography is a real challenge, in so many ways, just like any art form.

First there is the technical aspects of the art; aperture, shutter and ISO; the fire triangle of photography.

Then there is the esoteric of what is art, and all that that entails. And being able to "see" it in your mind.

Then there is the challenge of actually taking the photo, often in public, and this itself can be intimidating, causing technical errors and compositional errors.

It isn't often easy taking a photo when you're starting out, trying to do something other that point & shoot and ending up with the resulting snapshot.

My advice is to just take a breath and slow down a bit. Relax, and try to see in your mind what you want to capture in the image. There is a lot going on in your photo. A very complicated series of things have to all happen together at just the right moment. My father was a musician, and he always said that "timing is everything", and this is also so true in photography. (he also taught me all I know about the technical side of photography. And how many hours we waited for the timing to be right!)

I have not been a member of this forum very long, but there is so much talent among the members here, ranging the scale from beginner to pro, and although some of the criticism may seem harsh, (like being told your image is crap and should have been aborted) just don't be too discouraged by that. Some believe that a good sharp slap of reality is a good thing, and I usually subscribe to this theory, but is can seem harsh. It can scare you into thinking you have no talent at all. It can make you feel just plain stupid. But if you look through the harshness, and get to the reality without emotions, you will begin to see the point. And then you will really begin to learn.

And then again, sometimes the criticism is just too soft. Trying to appease someones emotional status doesn't really teach anything either. If you submit an image, and you know it's crap, and everyone says it's great, well, what does that get you? (which is why, if you want to learn anything, you usually shouldn't ask you mother if she likes the image!)

I don't think there are any bad images, though there are plenty I'm very content with seeing only one quick time, and then there are some that are just so very powerful that you just can't get enough of it. It is all art, and that means personal interpretation, which is just a minefield of personality and opinion.

The thing is, the opinions expressed by some members here will help to bring your images into the realm of the unforgettable.

But the only way to get there is to just keep taking photos, and keep learning and learning and learning.
05-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I like Special K's idea of cropping up from the bottom to put the diagonal at the corner. perhaps tone it a little lighter, perhaps more contrast, then you've got a very contemplative image that one can enter. Who hasn't walked a long hallway with someone else. Very fine. Congrats!