B&W Canterbury Streets
Lens: DA 18-55WR Camera: K10D Photo Location: Canterbury UK ISO: 200 

05-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad Jez.
Street shots are interesting, though these ones need more personality to them to be made more interesting. The character of the subject is often the most important and delightful part to a street portrait, but this is hard to capture. I just think an element of this X-factor is missing in these. Otherwise good effort, and great work on the B&W converstion.
05-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The last photo is great.
Very graphic in nature.
05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
You're right of course, Ash, getting faces is key. It's also the most difficult part as it involves a certain amount of (appropriate) aggression and the potential for confrontation. Bruce Gilden is at the extreme end of this, but I think you need a measure of that kind of attitude to really capture character. At the moment I'm trying to improve on composition and catching expressiveness of the human form... Whilst working on my courage for the more in yer face shots like this...

Not so great compositionally, but I like this for the attitude the guy was giving me.

Mischivo, I think that's why the last one works, I like it too. You get a sense of the couple from how they are huddled together almost.