Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lonely Ship
Lens: SMC M135 f3.5 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Milwaukee ISO: 100 

Okay, so this is my first post on the critique forum. I am looking to expand my skills with composition and post-processing. I just rented The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos from my local library and haven't started looking at it because I am still in Milwaukee and the book is in Illinois...Anyways, I would like feedback about this image in any way possible. I was going for an eerie look because the fog was ridiculous the other day. Thanks for the help!
-Mike

05-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First a crop would be needed. The boat is too vertically centered in the frame. Since the mast is almost at the top of the frame you need to crop some of the water from the bottom of the frame. Placing the boat around a third of the way up vertically would be good. You can also crop some from the right to get it looking good to the eye.

Second I would clone out the boats in the background. To me this is a photo of the sailboat and the boats in the background draw your eye and distract from the sailboat and the mood you are going for.

Third the exposure needs to be dialed back to bring out the eerie mood you want.

I've attached a 5 minute quick PP to show you what I mean. The mood was accomplished mostly with different modifications of contrast. I also played with the white point and saturation.

I hope you find this helpful.

You definitely spotted a nice scene.
Attached Images

05-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you very much! This was exactly the information I was looking for!